An Israeli government session scheduled for next Sunday will discuss a “soft displacement plan” to encourage the migration of Gaza residents to a third country, according to Israeli ministerial sources.
The proposal comes after Israel’s defense ministry established last month a directorate for the voluntary departure of Gaza residents tasked with implementing the plan of US President Donald Trump, which could allow a large part of Gaza’s population to relocate to various places around the world.
Ministerial sources in Israel said the government’s “soft” deportation plan aims to avoid charges against the Hebrew State of deliberate forced displacement of Palestinian civilians in Gaza, a move that will draw international condemnation against Israel of committing “war crimes.”
The sources said polls conducted months ago in Gaza found that 50% of Gazans were considering emigrating from the enclave.
According to Israeli estimates, the number is much lower, particularly after many Gazans abandoned the idea of leaving the Strip as soon as Trump proposed a US “takeover” of Gaza and the resettlement of Palestinians in other countries.
Therefore, the estimates in Tel Aviv say about 200,000 residents now wish to voluntary leave the Strip.
Israel believes that the deportation of 200,000 people is a great achievement that should be implemented with caution.
Therefore, the Israeli directorate for the voluntary departure of Gaza residents will oversee the entire process – from the stage of leaving Gaza until reaching the third country. Gaza residents will leave the Gaza Strip by land through the Kerem Shalom crossing, by air via the Ramon Airport near Eilat, or by sea, through the port of Ashdod.
The plan also includes financial assistance from western countries to enable any Gaza resident who wishes to emigrate voluntarily to a third country.
On Thursday, a group of independent human rights experts warned that Israel has resumed weaponizing starvation in Gaza by its decision to break from the ceasefire agreement and block humanitarian aid.
“We are alarmed by Israel’s decision to suspend once again all goods and supplies, including life-saving humanitarian aid entering the Gaza strip,” the experts said.
They added that, “The announcement followed a decision by the Israeli War Cabinet to break from the Gaza ceasefire agreement and calls by ministers to re-open the ‘gates of hell’ in the besieged enclave.”
The experts noted that these moves are patently unlawful under international law.
“As the occupying Power, Israel is always obliged to ensure sufficient food, medical supplies and other relief services. By deliberately cutting vital supplies, including those relating to sexual and reproductive health, and assistive devices for persons with disabilities, Israel is once again weaponizing aid,” they said.
“These are serious violations of international humanitarian and human rights laws, and war crimes and crimes against humanity under the Rome Statute,” the experts added.
Meanwhile, Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz issued on Thursday an order, threatening to deport members of protest flotillas to the Gaza Strip and use their boats to allow Palestinians to leave the territory.
“The Minister instructed the Israeli army to allow the protest flotillas to reach the Gaza coast, disembark the protesters in Gaza, and seize the ships and transfer them to the port of Ashdod so that they can be used to evacuate Gaza residents who are interested in leaving Gaza,” according to a statement issued by Katz’ office.
On Friday, Hamas released a video of an Israeli hostage seen alive and addressing his family after identifying himself.
In the footage, he is heard urging Israeli authorities to implement the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire deal.