straitstimes.com

Man in Johor Bahru dies in shoot-out with police

JOHOR BAHRU - A 63-year-old man with a criminal record has died in a shoot-out with police in Taman Molek, says the Johor police chief, Commissioner M. Kumar.

He confirmed that a report has been lodged and that police are investigating the shoot-out, which occurred around 3.10am on March 8.

“The incident took place when a team from the state police contingent special investigation division (D9) was patrolling the area in two police vehicles.

“They spotted a motorcycle ridden by a man behaving suspiciously along Jalan Persiaran Bumi Hijau in Taman Molek,” Datuk Kumar said in a statement on March 8.

He added that the team followed and successfully stopped the motorcycle in a nearby area.

“However, as they were about to conduct an inspection, the suspect suddenly fired several shots at the officers, prompting police to return fire in self-defence until the situation was under control.

“Upon inspection, police found that the suspect, who is a local, had been shot and was pronounced dead at the scene,” he said, adding that police recovered a Smith & Wesson pistol, four live bullets, and two spent shell casings near the suspect.

Mr Kumar also said a background check revealed that the suspect had 14 previous criminal and drug-related records, including one under the Firearms (Increased Penalties) Act 1971, one under the Arms Act 1960, and an active warrant for his arrest.

“The suspect’s body has been sent to Sultan Ismail Hospital for a post-mortem,” he added.

He declined to elaborate further on the case as it is still being investigated under Section 307 of the Penal Code and Section 3 of the Firearms (Increased Penalties) Act 1971. THE STAR/ ASIA NEWS NETWORK

More on this Topic

Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.

Thanks for sharing!

Read full news in source page