The Internal Security Bureau of South Sudan’s National Security Service (NSS) has announced that it will continue its crackdown on individuals suspected of involvement in recent clashes in Nasir and Ulang counties in Upper Nile State.
The move follows weeks of fighting between the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) and the White Army, a Nuer ethnic militia group that authorities believe has links to the Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO).
The violence has led to the arrest of several senior SPLA-IO military officers and government officials, including Petroleum Minister Puot Kang Chuol and Deputy Army Chief General Gabriel Duop Lam, a close ally of First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar.
The arrests, which began earlier this week, have not been formally explained by authorities. However, they come in the wake of clashes between the army and the White Army in Nasir town. The fighting has further strained an already fragile peace agreement between President Salva Kiir and Vice President Machar, who leads the SPLM-IO.
The detention of key Machar allies has raised concerns about the potential destabilization of South Sudan’s peace agreement.
The situation escalated on Friday when a United Nations helicopter attempting to evacuate SSPDF personnel from Nasir came under fire, resulting in the death of a general and dozens of soldiers.
Security Service Defends Arrests
At a press conference in Juba on Saturday, David John Kumuri, the NSS Director of Public Relations, stated that the arrests were part of efforts to maintain national security and uphold the 2018 Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of Conflict in South Sudan (R-ARCSS).
“The arrests will continue,” Kumuri said. “Those who commit crimes against the state, conspire against the government, or are connected to the incidents in Nasir will be held accountable.”
He emphasized that the arrests were not based on political affiliation, ethnicity, or regional ties but were instead guided by intelligence reports and evidence.
“The NSS Internal Security Bureau has arrested and detained several individuals with verified links to the escalating military confrontation in Nasir, Ulang, and surrounding areas. These arrests followed extensive intelligence operations aimed at gathering information from individuals, both within and outside the country, who have been fueling the ongoing conflict in the mentioned areas,” he said.
Kumuri cited sections 54 and 55 of the National Security Act, which grant the NSS powers to arrest individuals without a warrant in cases involving espionage, sabotage, terrorism, or threats to national security.
“South Sudan, like any sovereign state, has the right to address threats to its security,” Kumuri said. “The NSS is acting within its legal mandate to protect the nation and its citizens.”
Calls for Calm
Kumuri urged the public to remain calm and trust the authorities to handle the situation lawfully. He also warned against any abuse of power by law enforcement officers, stating that such actions would not be tolerated.
“The safety and security of our nation and its citizens remain our top priority,” he said. “We will take decisive action to ensure stability and hold accountable anyone who undermines the peace process.”