utddistrict.co.uk

What Jean-Philippe Mateta thinks about moving to Manchester United as Crystal Palace set asking price

Jean-Philippe Mateta’s thoughts on moving to Manchester United have been revealed as Crystal Palace name their asking price for the French striker.

Manchester United are set to prioritise attacking reinforcements this summer as Rúben Amorim’s side continue to struggle in front of goal.

United’s lack of firepower has been a recurring issue this season, with the team frequently failing to score more than once per match. Their inconsistent displays at Old Trafford have only added to concerns.

In January, the club loaned out several first-team forwards, including Antony to Real Betis, Marcus Rashford to Aston Villa, and Ethan Wheatley to Walsall for the remainder of the season.

Despite these departures, United did not strengthen their attacking options in January. Their only signings were defensive reinforcements—left-back Patrick Dorgu from Lecce and centre-back Ayden Heaven from Arsenal—though Amorim has hinted that Dorgu could also be used in a more advanced role.

What Mateta thinks about a United move

In the last week, United have been linked with a move for Crystal Palace striker Jean Philippe-Mateta, with the French forward flying in the Premier League across the last 14 months.

Playing in a 3-4-3 system in South London, he is showing he can be well suited to Amorim’s formation at Old Trafford, and according to French outlet L’Equipe (via GFFN), United’s interest in the 27-year-old has become concrete.

With United said to have already opened talks for the player, a fresh report from The Sun (via the Metro) has now detailed that a potential move to Old Trafford “appeals” to Mateta.

Further, it is claimed that Mateta feels he is ready to play for a club with the status of United despite the club’s drop off since Sir Alex Ferguson left in 2013.

Palace set £40 million asking price

However, the aforementioned report from France has claimed that Palace have put a £40 million price tag on their star striker, and it’s also worth noting that the club have little pressure to sell.

Read More: Erik ten Hag’s Man Utd favourite slammed as “useless”, transfer saga was “disgraceful”

Palace are in a financially secure position having sold Michael Olise to Bayern Munich for around £50 million last summer, and are expected to gain plenty of money from the sale of centre-back Marc Guehi in the 2025 summer window.

With Palace having rejected bids of up to £75 million for the player across the last 12 months, it’s expected that a bidding war may break out for the England international this summer.

United are also said to be interested in Palace midfielder Adam Wharton, but with Palace under little pressure to sell, it will be hard for the Old Trafford club to prize with player from Selhurst Park.

Make sure to follow UtdDistrict on X, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and TikTok to never miss out on any of our Manchester United content. Our podcast, What the Devil?, is streamed live every Thursday at 12:30 pm (GMT) on the United View YouTube channel.

Read full news in source page