footballinsider247.com

Ex-Pgmol boss: Brighton penalty wrong after Joao Pedro conned referee vs Fulham

Brighton striker Joao Pedro and Fulham midfielder Harrison Reed

(Credit: Imago / Sky Sports on Youtube)

Keith Hackett

Sat 8 March 2025 18:47, UK

Fulham should not have seen a penalty awarded against them in their Premier League loss to Brighton, says Keith Hackett.

The former PGMOL chief and ex-FIFA official exclusively told Football Insider that referee Sam Barrott had been “fooled” by Brighton’s Brazilian striker, Joao Pedro.

The Whites have been in impressive form this season, with Premier League football all but a certainty for next season, and they are preparing for an FA Cup quarter-final against the Seagulls.

A fantastic piece of play from Alex Iwobi, and a tidy finish from Raul Jimenez, gave the Whites the lead in the 35th minute.

Brighton hit back soon after through Jan Paul van Hecke, but following the Seagull’s equaliser, the match petered out into a stalemate, and looked to be heading for a draw, until Pedro caused controversy.

Fulham miss out on vital point after late Brighton penalty

With just seconds to go, the ball pinged off Issa Diop, bouncing into a dangerous area near the six-yard box.

MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES

Substitute Harrison Reed attempted to clear the ball, but was unaware Liverpool transfer target Pedro had snuck in behind him, making contact with the former Watford striker’s leg.

With a clear line of sight on the incident, Barrott showed no hesitation on calling for a penalty, and VAR showed no interest in overruling the on-field decision.

Match stats Brighton Fulham

Possession 53% 47%

Expected goals 1.61 0.90

Shots (on target) 9 (4) 6 (1)

Big chances (missed) 3 (2) 1 (0)

Corners 3 7

Having won the penalty, Pedro elected to take the spot-kick, converting to Fulham goalkeeper Bernd Leno’s left, despite the German getting a hand to the effort.

The decision was a particularly painful on for the Whites, who now lose ground in the race for European qualification to their opponents.

Fulham midfielder Harrison Reed

Harrison Reed gave away a penalty only 14 minutes after entering the pitch.

Keith Hackett gives clear assessment of Brighton’s penalty decision

Speaking to Football Insider exclusively about the decision, Hackett was unwavering in his assessment of Barrott’s decision, as the ex-PGMOL chief said: “This is not a foul and therefore not a penalty kick.

“The referee has been fooled by the attacker, who in feeling contact, goes to ground.

“It’s a subjective call, but I would not have expected a penalty kick [to have] been awarded.”

Fulham’s next match will be at home to Tottenham, with Marco Silva previously linked to replace under-fire manager Ange Postecoglou, on Sunday 16 March.

Brighton meanwhile will head north, as they face off against out-of-form Premier League champions, Man City, on Saturday 15 March.

Related Posts

Read full news in source page