Upgrade Your Fandom
Join the Ultimate Arizona Cardinals Community for just $48 in your first year!
Johnny Venerable Avatar
USATSI 25380560
For the first time in his tenure as Arizona Cardinals general manager, Monti Ossenfort finally appears to understand the free agent assignment.
Once the legal tampering period begins come Monday morning at 9 a.m., expect the Cardinals to aggressively pursue a number of “premier” defensive linemen including their top target, soon-to-be former Philadelphia Eagles DT Milton Williams. Williams, who is projected to easily eclipse the figure secured by Cowboys DT Osa Odighizuwa, is seen by many as the top overall player available in free agency.
If they hope to secure the new centerpiece for their grossly underserved defensive line, Ossenfort’s Cardinals will need to fend off the cap flushed New England Patriots, as well as several other defensive tackle needy teams (Chargers, Panthers, Vikings). While the Cardinals remain cap healthy in their own right, sporting just shy of $80 million dollars, the club’s best recruiting pitch remains the presence of head coach Jonathan Gannon.
Gannon was instrumental in the drafting and early development of Williams while in Philadelphia, and the Cardinals reportedly do not have concerns with the prior limitations put on the Super Bowl Champions’ usage as an Eagle. Williams averaged roughly 29 snaps per game in 2024 (career high), but I’m told the Cardinals and Williams’ camp would have no issue in seeing that number rise post-Philly. Gannon has previously spoken about his desired sweet spot for defensive linemen to sit between 50-60% of the total snaps played.
"We have looked at everybody…we have pinpointed the people we think can help us…we are going to be very aggressive to go get those guys."
Jonathan Gannon doesn't mince words about the Arizona Cardinals free agent targets.@PHNX_Cardinals | #BirdGang pic.twitter.com/IfMveWLWwW
— Johnny Venerable (@JohnnyVenerable) March 4, 2025
Nabbing a player the caliber of Williams would be unprecedented for Ossenfort. On the heels of yet another dismal showing via the recently released NFL PA Report Cards, it’s imperative that Cardinals brass speak with their actions as well as their wallets come free agency.
To give credit where credit is due, I do not believe Ossenfort is wired as overly passive or hesitant when it comes to veteran acquisitions. This past trade deadline, despite modest returns with the likes of Baron Browning, Ossenfort first made significant efforts to trade for a number of marquee pass rushers including the likes of the Las Vegas Raiders Maxx Crosby. While the discussed compensation (draft picks/contracts) remains vague, those actions alone should give Cardinals fans some solace in that Ossenfort knows the severity of the situation on the defensive line.
The Cardinals went big-game hunting last trade deadline on a number of marquee pass rushers that would have required higher draft compensation and salary demands.
They've been deep in this game for sometime. https://t.co/2zu8k93XE5
— Johnny Venerable (@JohnnyVenerable) March 7, 2025
Further assurance should come from this past week, when the Cardinals inquired on the availability of Cincinnati Bengals All-Pro DE Trey Hendrickson. Despite what others may suggest, I’m told the Cardinals have little concerns parting with premium draft capital as well as a future lucrative deal if it’s for “the right player”. Hendrickson certainly fits the bill, sporting 35 combined sacks in the past two seasons and undoubtedly checking the box of a Jonathan Gannon dubbed “war daddy”.
Like any trade, however, it takes two parties to inevitably get a deal done and there are real questions pertaining to just how serious the Bengals are in dealing their best defensive player. Ossenfort can’t afford to slow play any potential trade without also remaining aggressive on the free agent front and thus may need to pivot as early as next week. To the Cardinals advantage, however, it’s hard to imagine any Hendrickson deal happening amongst the AFC’s elite. Couple that with a top 50 selection in round two, and Arizona remains an attractive trade partner for both the player and the Bengals front office.
While the trade market boasts a number of premium edge rushers, the free agent class is much more of a mixed bag. I expect the Cardinals to have some level of interest in another former Eagle in that of 27-year-old Josh Sweat. However it does sound like Arizona fully understands the limitations in a player asking for $18-20 million per year coming off just eight sacks.
There are also longterm durability concerns (as outlined by Mike Garafolo on PHNX Cardinals) pertaining to one of Sweat’s knees. This was something that was also echoed by league insiders during last month’s NFL Combine, yet those close to the situation don’t appear overly concerned. The bigger question with Sweat, I’m told, is based purely on ceiling when compared to next month’s crop of NFL Draft participants. Does Ossenfort see value in overpaying Sweat when he could be easily eclipsed in production within his own pass rush room in the next 12-18 months?
An internal debate is likely being had regarding just how well a mega-deal with Sweat would age, especially after 2025. Unlike Jonathan Greenard a season ago, this is a player already looking for his second free agent deal yet sports just one double-digital sack season in seven playing years. Of course, that lone season came under the watchful eye of then Eagles defensive coordinator Jonathan Gannon.
What isn’t up for debate is the fact that “Sweaty J” undoubtedly raises the floor on what Arizona has in the intermediate and that harsh reality falls solely on the shoulders of Ossenfort. Which is why a robust free agent deal to the Virginia native cannot be dismissed. There are those around the league that believe that Arizona and the Washington Commanders will be “trading jabs” to secure the top available defensive ends. Fresh off their NFC Championship Game appearance, Washington is amongst the most desired free agent landing spots while the Cardinals are also seen as a team on the rise.
Don’t discount Arizona securing an early marquee addition (signing/trade) and using such a player as a recruiting pitch for others to join the d-line fun happening in the desert.
As for other areas of focus, the club will reportedly monitor the free agent guard market although quality options could be fleeting. To his credit, Ossenfort has shown an innate ability to upgrade the offensive line without yet surrounding a big money deal. Save for a modest contract to right tackle Jonah Williams an offseason ago, the Cardinals have made it a priority to draft and develop offensive linemen early in the draft. A far cry from Ossenfort’s predecessor in ex-GM Steve Keim, who almost exclusively went the veteran route in an attempt to shore up the team’s protection issues.
Should their defensive line ambitions falter early, expect the Cardinals to at least sniff around some of the top tier guards, especially when you consider Kyler Murray’s vulnerability to interior pressure.
Lastly, as also reported by Garafolo earlier this week, the Cardinals will at least entertain adding a veteran quarterback behind Murray. As PHNX Cardinals had previously noted, the club attempted to secure a then free agent Daniel Jones late last season following his abrupt exit in New York. Given the lunacy that has already begun within the veteran QB market, it’s hard to see Arizona exiting March with anyone of note capable of pushing K1.
The Cardinals are in position to add as many as three premium free agents during the first wave of free agency, and I’m told the team would like to have at least $15-20 million remaining to allocate toward discount signings and draft picks. This strategy would be far cry from the prior two offseasons when Ossenfort focused almost solely on stripping down the roster and acquiring mid-tier talent.
Some of that talent remains unsigned ahead of Monday, signaling the team’s comfort level in allowing such players to test the open market. As much as they club may be open to welcoming back the likes of Roy Lopez, L.J. Collier and the aforementioned Baron Browning, there’s a reason why they remain without deals roughly 36 hours out.
Ossenfort spoke with his actions during the season, prioritizing extensions with that of RB James Conner and S Budda Baker.
Outside of said players being cornerstones for the club, Ossenfort understood that both Conner and Baker would likely see robust markets should they be allowed to test free agency. Now with both team captains firmly in the fold and under contract for at least two more seasons, Ossenfort can avert his attention to more pressing matters.
Like raising the talent floor across this roster.
Of the Arizona Cardinals nine losses last season, eight of them were against teams with winning records. While Ossenfort has done a more than admirable job cleaning up Keim’s mess of a roster, the franchise is currently at a crossroads. When team’s within the NFC West are openly trading away starting quarterbacks because they’re not content with nine and ten win seasons, that shows the lengths that certain franchises will go to raise the floor and inevitably compete for championships.
If the Cardinals ever hope to join that group, there’s no better time to rip the bandaid off than now.
Comments
Share your thoughts
Join the conversation
The Comment section is only for diehard members
Open comments +
Scroll to next article
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on Email
Don't like ads?
Don't like ads?