JOHOR BAHRU - Major raids in Penang, Perak and Johor to combat illegal electronic waste (e-waste) recycling operations have led to multiple arrests and the seizure of e-waste, machinery, and even bullets and parts of a commercial airplane.
In Kota Tinggi, Johor, police made a shocking discovery at an illegal scrap processing factory – more than 46,000kg of e-waste, parts of a commercial plane and ammunition.
Kota Tinggi police chief Yusof Othman said the March 7 raid at an industrial area in Jalan Lombong led to the arrest of three foreign suspects – a Chinese national and a Myanmar couple.
Among the seized items were 46,214kg of electronic items, 103,983kg of compacted electronic components, 369,954kg of copper, 29,085kg of metal scrap, 22,791kg of compacted electrical wires and 43 iron coils.
Mr Yusof said police also seized 10 barrels containing lead balls and iron powder, seven barrels of bullet casings, a barrel containing ammunition, three forklifts, a car and three mobile phones.
The total value of the seized items is about RM23.8 million (S$7.2 million).
“We also found parts of a commercial plane, including components we believe to be a plane gearbox. Police deployed 20 personnel to go through and weigh all the items. It took more than 12 hours,” he said.
Mr Yusof said the factory, which had been operating illegally for four months, had no valid permits for e-waste processing or firearm-related activities.
“We found that this syndicate not only poses a threat to public safety but also has the potential to harm the environment due to the uncontrolled disposal of processed e-waste.
“The discovery of bullet casings and a barrel containing live ammunition is highly concerning, as these items could be misused for criminal activities if they fall into the wrong hands,” he said at a press conference on March 8.
The case is being investigated under Section 8 of the Arms Act 1960 for possession of bullet casings and live ammunition without authorisation, as well as the Environmental Quality Act 1974 for illegal storage of e-waste.
Although the suspects tested negative for drugs, they are still being investigated under the Immigration Act 1959/63 for failing to provide valid work documents.
The suspects have been remanded for four days until March 11.
Meanwhile, Kota Tinggi District Council president Muhamad Syahrizat Alwee, who was also present during the press conference, said the illegal factory will be sealed until March 15.
Mr Syahrizat added the facility was previously an electronics factory but was shut down before the syndicate repurposed it for illegal operations.
In Simpang Ampat, Penang, the General Operations Force (GOF) arrested three individuals, including two Myanmar nationals, for operating an unlicensed e-waste recycling factory.
Ulu Kinta GOF Northern Brigade Commander Senior Assistant Commissioner Shahrum Hashim said the raid, conducted on March 5, revealed that the factory had been operating without approval from the Environment Department and employed foreign workers without valid documents.
Authorities seized e-waste valued at RM60.5 million, along with machinery and other items worth RM106.7million, Bernama reported.
The case is being investigated under Section 6(1)(c) of the Immigration Act and Section 18(1) of the Environmental Quality Act.
Mr Shahrum said a separate raid on a plastics factory in Sungkai, Perak, led to the arrest of 19 foreigners and the seizure of materials worth RM 10.7million. THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK
Join ST's Telegram channel and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.
Thanks for sharing!