londonworld.com

Millwall manager speaks out after player ruled out of Sunderland, Portsmouth and Stoke City…

Alex Neil is pleased with the development of Josh Coburn.Alex Neil is pleased with the development of Josh Coburn.

Alex Neil is pleased with the development of Josh Coburn. | Getty Images

Millwall manager Alex Neil has spoke out after Liam Roberts was hit with a six-game ban

Millwall manager Alex Neil wants to draw a line under Liam Roberts’ red card against Crystal Palace after the goalkeeper was hit with an extended six-game ban on Friday.

Roberts caught Eagles striker Jean-Philippe Mateta with a boot to the head during a fifth-round FA Cup clash and was sent off for the offence after VAR recommended an on-field review to Michael Oliver.

Mateta required over 20 stitches and was sent to hospital. Roberts reached out to apologise for the challenge and had that accepted by the Palace striker. Roberts was hit with an automatic three-game ban but the Football Association requested a longer suspension for the player with it subsequently extended to six games.

The games Roberts will miss

Roberts has missed Championship fixtures with Bristol City and Watford while Wednesday’s clash with Leeds United was initially set to be the final game of his ban. However, he will now not return to action until April 8 when the Lions head to Sheffield United. He will not take part in matches at home to Stoke City and Portsmouth as well as the long away trip to Sunderland.

"As soon as I could, I reached out to Jean-Philippe personally to apologise, and I was thankful to hear back from him that evening that he was OK and reassured me not to worry," Roberts said last week. “I am devastated by what happened. I unequivocally accept the red card as awarded and accept my punishment.

"Furthermore, it has been extremely unpleasant to observe suggestions that I intended to harm a fellow professional. I have categorically never stepped onto a football pitch with the intention of hurting anyone.

"Misleading articles and comments have resulted in an unthinkable amount of abusive messages and threats towards my family and I. To the footballing community who know me and reached out with support through this tough time, thank you, I appreciate every single message."

Neil responds to extended ban

Asked on Saturday after his side won 2-1 at Watford, Neil said of Roberts’ ban being extended: "I think now we can draw a line under the Liam stuff. Liam's made a bad decision. He's mistimed the challenge. I think it's then been trial by media at that point afterwards, which we are not in control of.

"But internally, it's not really been turbulent for us. Liam will serve a suspension. That's the way it is, and we just move on to the next game."

Casper De Norre and Josh Coburn netted for Millwall at Vicarage Road and Neil wants his side to push towards the top six. He said: “We want to fight to be in contention. We’re certainly not naive.

“I think we’ve got five of the top six away from home still to play. So if we do get there, we’ll certainly deserve to be there. But we’re certainly not giving up on anything, and we’ll keep fighting.”

Read full news in source page