aa.com.tr

Syrian security forces foil attack by former regime loyalists on Sadcop petroleum facility

**ISTANBUL**

Syrian security forces thwarted on Sunday an attack by remnants of the former Assad regime on the SADCOP petroleum company in Latakia in northwestern Syria.

The state news agency SANA, citing a security source, said a security convoy moved from Idlib province in northwestern Syria toward the coast to pursue the remaining loyalists of the Assad regime and reestablish security and stability in the region.

The source said an attack on SADCOP had been repelled, without providing further details.

In recent days, the coastal provinces of Latakia and Tartus have seen heightened security tensions amid coordinated attacks by Assad loyalists. These attacks – described as the most severe since the regime’s fall in December – targeted security patrols, checkpoints, and hospitals, resulting in deaths and injuries.

In response, security and military forces launched sweeping operations to track down the attackers. The operations have led to fierce clashes, as government officials assert that the situation is moving toward full stability.

Assad, Syria’s leader for nearly 25 years, fled to Russia on Dec. 8, ending the Baath Party’s regime, which had been in power since 1963.

Ahmed al-Sharaa, who led anti-regime forces to oust Assad, was declared president for a transitional period on Jan. 29.

[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)

Read full news in source page