The Iran-backed Houthis have been putting out increasing statements in recent days, saying they could return to attacks on Israel. This could include shipping or long-range missile and drone attacks. The Houthis changed their tactics over the last year and a half, and they have an array of weapons.
The Houthis have not been deterred in the past. In fact, several rounds of Israeli long-range airstrikes did not lead to them changing their decision to attack Israel. This means the Houthis were not deterred. However, they might change their mind in the future based on the Trump administration and their sense of what might happen if they continue to attack ships. For now, they are only threatening. However, they seem to indicate they could restart attacks soon.
Warning of regional war
Meanwhile, in Iran, the backers of the Houthis continue to warn of regional war. This comes as Qatar has also warned against attacks on Iran. It also happened when Iran was conducting a naval drill with China and Russia. Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araghchi, “says Iran will respond very strongly and in a fully proportionate and balanced manner if attacked,” Iran’s state media said over the weekend.
“Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has warned that Israel is attempting to provoke a war in the region and involve its primary ally, the United States, in military conflict with the Islamic Republic.” He made the comments in an interview in Saudi Arabia. Clearly, this is a message for the region. Saudi Arabia is also concerned about the Houthi escalation.
A MISSILE, which according to the Houthis is a ‘hypersonic’ projectile named Palestine 2 that was used in the attack on Israel this past Sunday, is shown at an unknown location. The Pentagon said a ballistic missile was indeed used in the attack. (credit: Houthi Military Media/Reuters)
A MISSILE, which according to the Houthis is a ‘hypersonic’ projectile named Palestine 2 that was used in the attack on Israel this past Sunday, is shown at an unknown location. The Pentagon said a ballistic missile was indeed used in the attack. (credit: Houthi Military Media/Reuters)
Iran’s top diplomat said, “I think that the threat of war against Iran is a threat that is just talked about. Implementing this threat would be a very big danger and would turn into a widespread fire in the region.” He went on to add, “I believe that if an attack on Iran were to take place, this attack could turn into a widespread fire in the region; not that we will do that. It is Israel's desire to involve the other countries in the region in a war.”
He warned that “we have the ability to respond very strongly and in a fully proportionate and balanced manner. The Israelis themselves know, and others in the region know, that a similar action against Israel will follow any action taken against Iran.”