theweek.in

Pontiff responding well to treatment, says Vatican as Pope Francis thanks doctors for ‘miracle of tenderness’

Pope Francis on Sunday thanked the healthcare volunteers and doctors for the “miracle of tenderness” they offered the sick as he continued his recovery from double pneumonia. 

According to doctors, the Pope is responding well to treatment and has shown slight improvement in recent days. 

Pope Francis, 88, was admitted to Gemelli Hospital, Rome, on February 14 after experiencing severe breathing difficulties. It was three weeks after his admission that the doctors shared positive news about Pope's health. 

Meanwhile, it is the fourth Sunday in a row that Pope Francis did not appear for his weekly noon blessing. However, the Vatican distributed the text he would have delivered if he had been well. 

"Brothers and sisters, during my prolonged hospitalisation here, I too experience the thoughtfulness of service and the tenderness of care, in particular from the doctors and health care workers, whom I thank from the bottom of my heart," read the Pope's message. 

The doctors said that he was responding well to the therapy. The Vatican has been releasing the Pope’s daily statements as he had asked for openness about his health.  

The Vatican on Sunday morning reported that he was resting after a quiet night. 

Vatican secretary of state, Cardinal Pietro Parolin, and chief of staff, Archbishop Edgar Pena Parra visited the Pope on Sunday for the third time and discussed administrative matters.

The Vatican had said that he was getting essential work done from the hospital. 

Also, Francis has been using high flows of supplemental oxygen to help him breathe during the day and a noninvasive mechanical ventilation mask at night.

Read full news in source page