kansas.com

Lakers Star Must Step Up After LeBron’s Injury

The Los Angeles Lakers' eight-game winning streak came to a screeching halt Saturday night in Boston as LeBron James exited with a groin strain that could sideline him for significant time. Despite James' optimistic post-game assessment, ESPN's Dave McMenamin reports there's concern internally that LeBron's absence will be measured in "weeks" rather than "days"-a potential disaster for a Lakers team that had finally found its championship form, rising to No.3 in the Western Conference standings.

Now, all eyes turn to Luka Dončić, the 26-year-old superstar who must navigate his first extended stretch without his future Hall of Fame teammate since joining the Lakers in last month's blockbuster trade.

"Not much concern. Obviously we'll go day to day and look at it each day and see if it gets better," James told reporters via Spectrum SportsNet after the 111-101 loss to the Celtics. "Take the proper measures and see what we need to do going forward."

James explained the injury occurred on his final basket against Jaylen Brown:

"It was the last play. The last score I had on Jaylen Brown. Probably extended it a little too much. Couple of pivots and then when I landed, I felt it."

The 40-year-old All-Star immediately connected this injury to his Christmas Day 2018 groin strain that derailed his first Lakers season:

"The first thing that popped in my mind was Christmas Day in my first year with the Lakers. I've been there before and I know what type of injury you're dealing with."

Though James added that he believes this injury isn't as severe as that 2018 setback that sidelined him for 17 games, he made sure not to give false hope.

With just 20 games remaining in the regular season, newly acquired superstar Luka Dončić must rapidly transition from co-star to solo lead if the Lakers hope to maintain their No.3 position in the Western Conference's.

The Slovenian star has begun finding his rhythm in Los Angeles, averaging 23.8 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 8.1 assists while shooting 40.0% from the field since the trade.

With Dončić set to make $136 million over the next three years (including a player option), the Lakers' hopes of securing an extension hinge partly on proving they can build a sustainable winner around him-with or without LeBron. For Lakers management that paid a king's ransom to acquire him, the stakes couldn't be higher as Dončić faces his first true test as the face of the franchise.

By all accounts, Dončić has embraced his new surroundings. According to Shams Charania of ESPN, he's settling into Los Angeles life:

"He's feeling more and more comfortable with every passing day. He just moved in a few days ago in Los Angeles. The most important part for Luka Dončić has been what he's told people around him, as well as Jeanie Buss, the Lakers owner, which is that he's felt more and more appreciative and comfortable with how the Lakers have surrounded him with support, with inclusion in the process of everything."

James has committed to staying with the team for their remaining three road games. That said, it appears he'll be unlikely to suit up again before returning to Los Angeles. "Yeah, for sure. We'll see what happens in the next few days and then go from there," James said when asked if he'd remain on the trip.

Dončić's comfort will now be tested as he shoulders the responsibility of being the primary playmaker and scorer without the safety net James provides. When Dallas traded Dončić after offering him the keys to their franchise for nearly six seasons, few could have predicted he'd be thrown into a solo leadership role in Los Angeles so quickly.

Related: Lakers Could Make Major Roster Moves Ahead of Playoffs

Copyright 2025 The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This story was originally published March 9, 2025 at 10:23 AM.

Read full news in source page