irishmirror.ie

David Moyes’ Seamus Coleman message to Heimir Hallgrimsson ahead of Ireland squad announcement

David Moyes has given Ireland boss Heimir Hallgrímsson the green light to select Seamus Coleman for the Nations League promotion/relegation play-off against Bulgaria.

This is despite the fact that Coleman has not featured for Everton since their St Stephen’s Day draw away to Manchester City.

Coleman was back on the bench during the Toffees’ 1-1 draw away to Wolves on Saturday, where he watched fellow Ireland international Jake O’Brien feature again at right-back.

He has played just four times so far this season as he has struggled with calf injuries.

However, Moyes would welcome an international call-up for the veteran Ireland skipper, whose latest injury woes were sparked by a challenge with Harry Maguire during last September’s home defeat to England.

“I want all my players to be internationals and I want them to play for their countries. It is something they should be really proud of,” he said.

“There are some legendary Irish players from the past. Will he make that group? I don’t know.

“He will certainly get it for his heart to play for his country and what he has given up over the years.”

Moyes added: “If he gets called up for Ireland I will be thrilled for Seamus.

“If not, I will be happy to have him as we will try to give him some bounce games so he can get some practice, probably in the international break.”

Moyes was delighted to get Coleman back on the Everton bench for the first time since his January return to the Goodison Park club.

It was the Scottish manager who was in charge way back in 2009 when Everton signed Coleman from Sligo Rovers.

“It's great to get Seamus back, he is so important around the group and the players,” said Moyes.

“I don’t think he is match-fit. Could I have given him 10 or 15 minutes? I could easily do that.

“But we are still nursing him to make sure his injury doesn’t reoccur if we can help it.”

Moyes, meanwhile, has hinted at a coaching role for Coleman at Everton next season - if the Donegalman decides to stay on.

“You don’t just keep people for the sake of keeping them because if you did every club would have hundreds of old players there,” he said.

“But if we had our way, we would try and keep Seamus around, definitely, or give him the opportunity to be around, but he may have something else on.

“We have to see what he wants and we have not made a decision on what we are going to do.

“Seamus might be a great person to have around as an extra who, if he wasn’t playing all the games, might be able to play in the Under-21s.

“There are a lot of teams who have gone with that sort of thing. He could also maybe be a coach with the younger boys if that is what he chooses to do.

“We might still decide to keep him on anyway, but for me Seamus picking up the injuries is the problem.

“Sometimes you have to do the right things. Seamus might be required to do that job and he might still be one of the best at it.

“I don’t think age in football is quite as important as it was years ago in football. Look at Luka Modric for example and I know we are talking about a star. Ryan Giggs, Ashley \[Young\].

“I think it is when you are injured, it breaks you down as an individual and it takes too long to get back and missing training and not keeping up.”

****Get the latest sports headlines straight to your inbox by** [**signing up for free email alerts**](https://www.irishmirror.ie/newsletter-preference-centre/)**.****

Read full news in source page