
South Korea's impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol reacts outside of the presidential official residence after his release, Seoul, South Korea, March 8, 2025. /VCG
South Korea's impeached president Yoon Suk Yeol reacts outside of the presidential official residence after his release, Seoul, South Korea, March 8, 2025. /VCG
South Korean prosecutors will pursue President Yoon Suk Yeol's conviction for insurrection despite a court decision ordering the release of the impeached leader from prison, the head of the prosecutors' office said on Monday.
Prosecutor General Shim Woo-jung said he respected the weekend court ruling but did not agree with its assessment that the indictment filing was past the legally allowed expiry time, which the court said made Yoon's detention while on trial illegal.
"I've directed that the prosecution makes arguments on various disputes during trial, and we'll do everything we can to pursue this indictment," he told reporters when asked whether the court ruling meant it was likely to drop the case.
Yoon has been on criminal trial since February 20 over allegations he led an insurrection by declaring martial law on December 3 last year. He lifted the martial law decree after about six hours.
His lawyers had filed a motion to cancel his detention and said Friday's ruling showed the case against Yoon was politically motivated and had no legal justification.
The embattled leader walked out of a detention center on Saturday, about a week short of two months after being arrested.
He was impeached by parliament and remains suspended from power. The Constitutional Court is expected to decide in the coming days whether to overturn the impeachment and reinstate him or remove him from office permanently.
If Yoon is removed, a new presidential election will be held within 60 days.
(With input from Reuters)