SEOUL – North Korea fired multiple unidentified ballistic missiles off its west coast on March 10, as the United States and South Korea kicked off annual joint military drills.
The missiles were fired towards the sea off the west coast at around 1.50pm (12.50pm in Singapore), South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a text message sent to reporters.
The South Korean military has ramped up surveillance and vigilance, it said.
North Korean state media has criticised the annual joint military drills by the US and South Korea that began on March 10, saying these would worsen the situation on the Korean peninsula.
The joint military exercises – called Freedom Shield – are due to run until March 20 and are aimed at strengthening readiness for threats such as North Korea, JCS has said previously. REUTERS
Join [ST's Telegram channel](https://t.me/TheStraitsTimes) and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.