Liverpool’s summer transfer plans are starting to take shape as the Reds prepare for some surgery within their squad.
It looks set to be a successful end to the season at Anfield, with Arsenal’s draw against Manchester United on Sunday taking Liverpool another step closer to the Premier League title.
But while the Reds now look destined to secure their 20th championship win, Arne Slot is already looking ahead to how he can bolster the Liverpool squad further.
Slot is still very much working with the group left behind by Jurgen Klopp and after three windows of inactivity, Liverpool are ready to do some business.
One of the key areas in need of improvement is at left-back where Andy Robertson has struggled at times this season.
And as Slot and Richard Hughes assess the market, journalist Fabrizio Romano says they have whittled the shortlist down to three names.
Photo by Robin Jones - AFC Bournemouth/AFC Bournemouth via Getty Images
Photo by Robin Jones – AFC Bournemouth/AFC Bournemouth via Getty Images
Liverpool hold concrete interest in Milos Kerkez
Robertson has been Liverpool’s left-back since 2018, with Kostas Tsimikas ably supporting him for the past five years.
While the pair have been stalwarts for Liverpool – with Robertson a genuine legend of the club – a revamp is now overdue.
MORE LIVERPOOL STORIES
And according to Romano, Milos Kerkez is likely to be the Reds’ top target at left-back this summer. Speaking to Give Me Sport, the transfer expert says Kerkez is on a three-man shortlist approved by Slot.
“It’s not something guaranteed or agreed at this stage, it’s still early; but Liverpool want to bring in a new left-back in the summer as well as a centre-back and Kerkez is one of three main names on the shortlist already approved by Arne Slot,” says Romano.
READ MORE: Liverpool considering move to sign ‘superb’ Brazilian as new striker shortlist is drawn up
“Contacts are expected to follow and continue in the next months; Liverpool’s interest is genuine and concrete, as the “world-class” Kerkez is attracted by Champions League football for his future and there’s a chance to make the deal happen this summer. Now we wait for the next weeks to understand when and how the contacts will continue.
“The price tag? Sources see a deal happening for a fee of around €40/45m,” continues the reporter. “But Bournemouth will make a final decision on the price as soon as we get closer to the summer transfer window.”
Who are the other two targets?
Many Liverpool supporters would be delighted to see Kerkez arrive at Anfield this summer. The Hungarian has developed into one of the best left-backs in the Premier League at Bournemouth.
However, as Romano says, he is clearly not the only option for Liverpool.
Wolves defender Rayan Ait Nouri has been heavily linked and the Algerian would represent a cheaper and more experienced alternative to Kerkez.
And as Rousing The Kop revealed earlier this month, Antonee Robinson has impressed Liverpool this season, with the Fulham man seen as a ready-made solution.
Another to come into the picture could be Ajax’s Jorrel Hato, but the Dutchman may potentially be seen as more of a centre-back. Either way, it seems as though Kerkez is the one Liverpool really want.