dailymail.co.uk

No Prime To Die! Amazon's James Bond takeover could at last see one of these stars cast as the…

By TOM COTTERILL

Published: 07:52 EDT, 10 March 2025 | Updated: 07:52 EDT, 10 March 2025

Speculation has exploded over who will become the next James Bond following Amazon's massive takeover of the beloved spy saga.

Fans of 007 feared Amazon Studios – owned by billionaire Jeff Bezos – would corrupt the iconic hero after buying the franchise rights for £770 million from Bond stewards Barbara Broccoli and Michael G Wilson.

However, leaked memos circulated by the media giant to staff and revealed by The Mail on Sunday, have shown bosses will keep Bond male and British - despite speculation the iconic Ian Fleming hero could be portrayed by a woman.

'Amazon is committed to keeping the spirit of Bond alive and that means he has to be British or from the Commonwealth - and he has to be male,' an insider said.

They added: 'Jeff is a massive Bond fan and while he's excited to see how Amazon can take the franchise forward there are certain things which are sacrosanct.'

One of Hollywood's most iconic roles, actors who played the suave, steely-eyed and devastatingly charming spy include Sean Connery, Roger Moore, Pierce Brosnan and Timothy Dalton.

Bond was last played by Daniel Craig, who portrayed the martini-loving action hero across five movies during his 15-year stint in the role.

But since Craig, 57, hung up his tux in 2021, movie fans have shaken and stirred several names into the mix, from Idris Elba and Tom Hardy to Richard Madden and even Superman star, Henry Cavill.

Daniel Craig played James Bond for five instalments of the spy flicks, since Casino Royale in 2006

Superman star Henry Cavill (pictured) was among the frontrunners having previously auditioned for the role

Venom star Tom Hardy was among the people's favourite to take on 007 in a recent poll

At one point even Brosnan - who played the fictional British spy in four films during the 1990s and early 2000s - was reportedly even asked if he would make a return.

But it seems the bookies' favourite for the role is rising Brit talent, Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

He sparked a frenzy among 007 fans when, in March 2022, The Sun reported he had been 'formally offered' the role 'should he wish to accept it'.

However, since then, Taylor-Johnson, 34, has been dodging questions about joining the beloved spy series.

Speaking in December during the premier of his superhero movie, Kraven the Hunter, he laughed with Entertainment Tonight when asked about fan reaction to his rumoured role.

'I would say. Come see Kraven because that's what out this weekend and it's not going to disappoint,' the actor joked, as he deftly swerved the question. 'I promise you that, guys.'

Also among those in contention was Luther star Idris Elba, who topped a poll of 2,000 Brits asked who they would like to see as the next 007.

But Elba has recently broken his silence on the rumours swirling around him potentially becoming the next Bond.

Luther star Idris Elba was previously among of the bookies' top choices to take over as Bond

Speaking to Chris Moyles on his Radio X morning show in April, Elba denied he would be Craig's successor, saying he had been questions 'half-a-million times' over the rumour.

'The rumour has definitely done. And I mean, I'm ancient now. I don't know what kind of Bond I'd be,' he said.

'It was definitely one of the biggest rumours. I'm arguably more famous for not playing Bond than some of the actors who did.'

He insisted he was not even interested in joining the famed franchise as a villain.

Back in August 2022, it was reported Idris had walked away from 'years of talks' with movie bosses to take over the famous role.

He had been the bookies' favourite to replace Craig, but is keen to pursue other roles - and has even put forward a list of proposed names to producer Barbara Broccoli of actors to play 007.

A source told The Sun: 'Fans and Barbara wanted Idris but he wants to create something for himself.

'However, he's put forward names to play 007. He's 'informally' in the decision-making process as he's been in talks with producers for so long.'

It's thought Amazon might now be seeking to recruit a younger actor to star as Bond.

Among those rumoured to be on the list is Regé-Jean Page following his sultry turn as the Duke of Hastings on back in 2020 which made him a household name overnight.

'It's a conversation people are having, and it's terribly flattering that they're having it. I leave them to it,' he told Vanity Fair of the speculation.

Asked whether or not he would take on the role, Page added: 'I have no idea. It's not a thing that is fully occupying my thoughts.

'I've got enough on my plate at the moment. I worry about the work I have, not other people's jobs.'

Superman star Henry Cavill was also rumoured as one of the leaders to step into Bond's shoes.

It comes as footage of the beefy 41-year-old's 'tremendous' audition for the role was dredged up 20 years after he very narrowly missed out on playing the spy to Daniel Craig.

In the old tape, Henry did his best to impress the production team as he delivered some of the character's most famous lines in a bid to beat around eight other stars.

Footage of Henry Cavill 's 'tremendous' audition for the role of James Bond has been dredged up 20 years after he narrowly missed out on playing the iconic character to Daniel Craig

The Jersey-born star has since gone on to have a glittering career winning an MTV award for his role as Superman in Man of Steel In 2013

Daniel (pictured, in Casino Royale) reportedly only narrowly beat second-placed Henry to play Bond

Casino Royale director Martin Campbell, who was behind the impressive screen test, told the Express that Henry had come close to becoming Bond but his age had been a problem.

He said: 'He looked great in the audition. His acting was tremendous. And look, if Daniel didn't exist Henry would have made an excellent Bond.

'He looked terrific, he was in great physical shape… very handsome, very chiselled. He just looked a little young at that time back then.'

And speaking to the Rich Eisen show last year, while promoting his film The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare - where he played a character James Bond was based on - Cavill said he was interested in the role.

'I have no idea, all I've got to go off is the rumors. The same information you have. Maybe I'm too old now, maybe I'm not, we'll see. It's up to Barbara Broccoli and Mike Wilson, but we'll see what their plans are,' added the Jersey-born actor.

Other contenders on the list include Taylor Swift's ex husband, Joe Alwyn.

The Brutalist actor was even quizzed about whether he would take on the character during his appearance at the 97th Academy Awards last week.

'Who wouldn't throw their hat in the ring? You know,' he told Variety's Marc Malkin.

Another name that appears firmly on list by fans and the bookies is Theo James.

He emerged as one of the frontrunners last year, with bookmakers placing him as 12/1 favourite by Taylor-Johnson.

'The search for the next James Bond is hotting up and we have seen a lot of support for British actor Theo James, who has narrowed from as big as 12/1 into 5/2 second favourite,' William Hill's spokesman Lee Phelps said.

'Being preceded by Aaron Taylor-Johnson who has been as short as 2/5 to step into 007's shoes, but has now drifted to 11/10 in the market.

'James may well have caught the eye of executives with his performance in The Gentleman.'

James has not commented on whether he has been approached for the leading turn.

'There is no narrative among my friends because they would say, 'You? Are you joking?' he told Josh Horowitz, adding: 'The adage was, 'Oh, yeah. You'd be the first Bond-opolis. The Greek Bond with hummus,' referring to his Greek heritage.'

Gladiator II star Paul Mescal's name has also been thrown into the ring to take on the beloved spy.

Rumours have been swirling around the 29-year-old becoming the next 007 for years.

And following his blockbusting turn in Ridley Scotts's Gladiator sequel, alongside Denzel Washington and Pedro Pascal, bookies slashed the odds of him becoming Daniel Craig's successor late last year from 10/1 to 3/1.

Cal Gildart of Ladbrokes said: 'If Paul Mescal's first move up the leaderboard to be the next James Bond had shaken things up, his latest odds cut has stirred plenty of speculation. Things will get very interesting if he overtakes long-time favourite Taylor-Johnson in the near future.'

Spider-Man Tom Holland was also on the list to replace Daniel Craig as Bond

Hunky Fifty Shades of Grey star Jamie Dornan also features in the top 20 for the next Bond

As does Welshman Luke Evans, who has starred in a string of Hollywood blockbusters - including the Hobbit, Fast & Furious 6 and Dracula Untold

'I'm a huge Bond fan. I think it's an incredible franchise. But it feels very, very far away from current circumstances,' Mescal said back in 2020.

'Would I play Bond? Yeah? I don't know. If it ever came my way, we'd have a discussion about it.

'I don't know. I don't want to say yes or no. I am a massive fan, and will continue to be, regardless.'

Also on the list is Richard Madden, who appeared as an early contender to become the next 007.

'It's very flattering to be involved in that conversation at all,' the Game of Thrones star said during an 2019 interview in Cannes. 'But it's all just talk and I'm sure next week it will be someone else.'

Previously, Brits have called on Bond producers to hire Venom star Tom Hardy as the next 007.

In one vote, Hardy appeared the people's choice for the fictional spy, bagging more than a third of the votes in a public opinion poll.

Also seemingly on the list included the man with a golden gong, Oscar-winner Cillian Murphy, Spider-Man's Tom Holland and Holland's fellow Marvel star, Tom Hiddleston, who plays the cheeky trickster, Loki.

Read full news in source page