Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
The latest Chelsea injury news and expected return dates ahead of Thursday’s game against FC Copenhagen.
Chelsea take on FC Copenhagen in the second leg of their Europa Conference League tie on Thursday evening. The Blues won 2-1 in the first leg over in Denmark after goals by Reece James and Enzo Fernandez - but they will have to make do without several first-team players as Chelsea work to book passage into the quarter-finals.
Enzo Maresca’s side backed up that result with a 1-0 win over his former club Leicester City over the weekend in the Premier League, with defender Marc Cucurella scoring their goal against the Foxes as they secured all three points at Stamford Bridge. The London outfit are now sat in 4th place in the table as they look to get back into the Champions League. They are two points above Manchester City in 5th position.
Here are the latest updates on Chelsea’s injured players and their expected return dates ahead of the midweek match against FC Copenhagen.
Chelsea defensive and midfield issues
Malo Gusto - could return. The full-back went off against Copenhagen last week and was left out of the match against Leicester City. Speaking late last week, Maresca said: “He’s OK, he’s better. They just said to me he could possibly be available for Sunday’s game, so hopefully we will have him for [Leicester].” Expected return date: 13/03/2025
Reece James - could return. He also sat out against the Foxes due to illness. The Blues will need to make checks on his condition over the coming days and decide whether to throw him back into the squad. Expected return date: 13/03/2025
Romeo Lavia - available. The former Southampton man was on the bench against Leicester on Sunday and is now available for selection. His boss recently said: “Romeo has also started to work with us. This is good news, but we have to be patient with him, because he is still quite far away from being 100 per cent fit and ready.” Expected return date: 13/03/2025
Chelsea’s attacking woes continue
Marc Guiu - out. Chelsea remain without the former Barcelona attacker due to a thigh injury. Maresca shared this update in mid-February: “Marc will also be out for a while. He has a muscle problem, a hamstring issue as well, and will be out for a little while.” Expected return date: 02/04/2025
Nicolas Jackson - out. The striker is still in the treatment room and isn’t able to play for the Blues just yet as his continues his recovery. His head coach has said: “Nico has started to do some running outside which is good, but I don’t think there is any change with his status. We are still looking at after the international break for him.” Expected return date: 02/04/2025
Noni Madueke - out. He is out of action for Chelsea still and they will be weighing up when is best to play him again. When fit, he gives them more competition and depth in attack. Maresca said: “Noni will be out until the international break, probably.” Expected return date: 02/04/2025
Mykhailo Mudryk - suspended. The Ukraine international is provisionally suspended for a failed drugs test. Maresca said in January: “The only thing I can say is that we are close to Mykhailo as a club, and we are trying to help him. In terms of an update, I don't have one.” Expected return date: Unknown
Related topics:ChelseaMalo GustoReece JamesNoni Madueke
Comment Guidelines
National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.