abc.net.au

Elon Musk says X outages due to 'massive cyberattack'

Elon Musk says X outages the result of a cyber attack and investigations are underway to determine who's behind it

By Patrick Martin in London with wires

Topic:Social Media

8m ago8 minutes agoMon 10 Mar 2025 at 6:47pm

A man wearing a black shirt with a white logo that says "DOGE" shows it off to the camera smiling

Elon Musk confirmed the cyberattack was underway hours after users began reporting issues with X. (AP Photo: Jose Luis Magana)

Elon Musk says there is a "massive cyberattack" underway against his platform X, formerly Twitter.

He posted on Monday, local time, that "We get attacked every day, but this was done with a lot of resources.

"Either a large, coordinated group and/or a country is involved," he wrote.

He added that the company was "tracing" who was behind the attack.

Earlier in the day some 40,000 users reported that they had no access to the platform.

After first being noticed in the morning in the US, outages spiked again about noon, local time.

In March 2023 the platform, then known as Twitter, experienced a bevy of glitches for over an hour as links stopped working, some users were unable to log in and images were not loading for others.

The tech billionaire owns SpaceX and Tesla in addition to the social media platform.

He has become one of Donald Trump's strongest fans and is a special advisor to the US president in his second term in the White House.

On taking office, Mr Trump controversially chose Mr Musk to head a new department designed to cut US government spending and improve efficiency.

He also attracted recent criticism for expressing support for a far-right political party in Germany ahead of the recent election.

ABC/wires

Posted8m ago8 minutes agoMon 10 Mar 2025 at 6:47pm

Copy link

Facebook

X (formerly Twitter)

Read full news in source page