Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Newcastle United injury latest ahead of the Carabao Cup final against Liverpool.
Newcastle United boss Eddie Howe is hopeful of no fresh injuries ahead of Sunday’s Carabao Cup final against Liverpool.
The Magpies suffered a bruising week, losing Anthony Gordon to suspension, and Lewis Hall and Sven Botman to long-term injuries but responded by earning a hard-fought 1-0 win at West Ham United on Monday night.
United moved up to sixth in the Premier League table, level on points with fifth-place Manchester City. But perhaps more importantly, Howe believes his players came through unscathed.
“We're hopeful that we've got a clean bill of health,” Howe told reporters in his post-match press conference. “I don't think you ever quite know until the next day or two, but at the moment I think we look okay.”
Eddie Howe provides Alexander Isak update
A hot topic heading into the final is the fitness of Alexander Isak.
The Sweden international - United’s top goalscorer this campaign with 22 goals - missed the recent 2-0 defeat at Liverpool due to a groin issue but returned for the next fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Cup fifth round.
Tightness forced Isak to withdraw just moments before the game went to extra-time. The 25-year-old recovered in enough time to start against the Hammers before being replaced in the 79th minute.
And Howe played down any fears Isak had been brought off because of an injury.
He said: “Yes, I didn't take him off with an injury. I took him off because I thought he was tiring. But no issues that I'm aware of.”
Your next read: Newcastle United player ratings from the 1-0 win at West Ham United.