timeslive.co.za

Damascus faces demands for accountability after civilian killings

Violence spiralled on Thursday, when the authorities said their forces in the coastal region faced a well-organised attack by fighters aligned with the ousted Assad government.

As government reinforcements deployed, mosques in regions loyal to the new administration began calling on people to wage jihad, or holy struggle, in support of security forces.

By Friday afternoon, reports began emerging that scores of civilians had been killed in sectarian reprisals in Alawite towns and villages. By Sunday evening the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a British-based organisation that reports on the conflict, said 973 civilians were killed in reprisal attacks carried out by government forces or fighters aligned with them.

More than 250 Alawite fighters were killed and more than 230 members of government security forces were also killed, it said.

Reuters has not been able to independently verify the tolls.

Declaring an end to the government's military operation, defence ministry spokesperson Hassan Abdul Ghany said government forces “were able to neutralise” Assad regime remnants in seven locations and security forces would co-operate with the investigation.

“We are paving the way for life to return to normal and for the consolidation of security and stability,” he said in statements published by state media.

Plans were in place to continue combating former regime remnants and eliminate any future threats, he said.

Israeli foreign minister Gideon Sa’ar said the violence showed Syria's new rulers “remained jihadists, even if some of their leaders have put on suits”. “It must draw conclusions from what has happened and explore ways to protect minorities in Syria,” he told a political party meeting.

Reuters reported last month Israel has been lobbying the US to keep Syria weak and decentralised, including by letting Russia keep its military bases there to counter Turkey's growing influence in the country.

The UN Security Council met behind closed doors on Monday at the request of Russia and the US to discuss the escalating violence in Syria.

Russia, which backed Assad militarily during the civil war and still has two military bases in Syria, had reached out to the US to jointly ask for the meeting, said Russia's UN ambassador Vassily Nebenzia.

“Things are happening in Syria. In Latakia there is a lot of violence, people fleeing their homes,” he told reporters before the meeting.

**Reuters**

Read full news in source page