manchestereveningnews.co.uk

Why Oscar Bobb could still be weeks off a Man City return amid manager snub

Oscar Bobb is nearing a return for Manchester City but that may now be after the upcoming international break.

Comments

Sport

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 28: Oscar Bobb of Manchester City during a training session during the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 League Phase MD8 training and press conference at Manchester City Football Academy on January 28, 2025 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

MANCHESTER, ENGLAND - JANUARY 28: Oscar Bobb of Manchester City during a training session during the UEFA Champions League 2024/25 League Phase MD8 training and press conference at Manchester City Football Academy on January 28, 2025 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Alex Livesey/Getty Images)

Oscar Bobb has been omitted from the Norway squad for this month's international fixtures, suggesting his return date for Manchester City may have been pushed back again.

Bobb was injured the week before the start of the Premier League season, breaking his leg in training and spending five months out. After returning to training, Bobb then suffered another setback with the decision taken to remove him from full training to allow him to recover properly.

Now back for a second time, Bobb could be nearing a first appearance of the season. But he is not in Norway's squad for their March internationals with manager Stale Solbakken confirming discussions had taken place with City over the winger's recovery.

“We had a conversation with Guardiola indirectly," he said. "We have a full overview of what he has done, and there is very little in big games. Zero games and little big games, but he is at least in training now,” he said, adding that Bobb 'isn't close' to an international recall given his lack of football this term.

“He has had a couple of setbacks along the way, and it was a broken leg. Sometimes it takes longer than you hope. City is in a position where they can’t give him any free minutes either. They are fighting for their lives for Champions League games [qualification], and that will probably delay his comeback even further.”

Article continues below

With Solbakken basing his comments after discussions with City's medical staff, it raises the question of Bobb's return dragging on further. And with James McAtee left out of last week's squad due to attackers returning to fitness, Bobb's path to a first matchday appearance of the season looks more difficult.

Read full news in source page