liverpoolecho.co.uk

Billy Joel Anfield concert postponed due to star's'medical condition'

The Piano Man star was due to take to the stage at Anfield on Saturday, June 21, 2025

Comments

What's On

Billy Joel performs at Allegiant Stadium on November 09, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Billy Joel performs at Allegiant Stadium on November 09, 2024 in Las Vegas, Nevada. (Photo by Ethan Miller/Getty Images)

Billy Joel’s upcoming concert dates, including a scheduled performance at Anfield stadium, will be rescheduled due to a medical condition. The current tour will be postponed to allow the star to recover from recent surgery, Liverpool FC confirmed.

In a statement shared online, the club said: "Liverpool FC can confirm the postponement of this summer’s Billy Joel concert at Anfield, due to a medical condition and to allow him to recover from recent surgery. That date has been rescheduled, and Billy Joel will now appear at Anfield on June 20, 2026 instead. He is expected to make a full recovery and the tour will resume at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh on July 5, 2025."

Sharing his sadness over the postponement, Billy Joel said: “While I regret postponing any shows, my health must come first. I look forward to getting back on stage and sharing the joy of live music with our amazing fans. Thank you for your understanding.”

The Piano Man star was due to take to the stage at Anfield on Saturday, June 21, 2025, one of just two exclusive performances in Europe this year. His current tour will be postponed for four months to allow him to undergo physical therapy under the supervision of his doctors.

Tickets purchased through LFC for the show will remain valid for the rearranged date, and ticket holders will be contacted directly via email on Wednesday March 12. Those who are unable to attend the new date will be able to request a refund by following the instructions in the email.

The other concerts at Anfield this summer remain unaffected, with Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band set for June 4 and June 7, Dua Lipa performing on June 24 and June 25, and Lana Del Rey appearing on June 28.

Billy Joel fans had been left concerned after the legendary singer suffered a fall on stage. The 75-year-old performed at Mohegan Sun resort in Stamford, Connecticut, USA, on February 22, 2025.

He was performing his iconic hit 'It's Still Rock and Roll to Me' as he headed towards the end of the show at the weekend. While performing the song, he traditionally twirls the microphone base in the air.

However, it took a turn as he fell on his back after throwing the microphone off the stage. A gig-goer at the event told the SWNS news agency the singer was "visibly thrown off" after he was helped up by his band.

They said: "He looked frail hobbling across the stage. At one point, he was using the microphone stand as a cane. I was really very concerned about him throughout the concert.

"Before he fell, I said to my friend 'he's going to fall' and then he did. The venue gasped when he hit the floor. He definitely looked thrown off but somehow he managed to finish the show with a final song.

"When I was younger, I was a massive fan of Billy Joel, so this is very concerning." The singer continued his set after the incident as he performed a final song behind the piano to bring the curtain down on his performance.

Since 2019 a total of seven artists have played 11 concerts at Anfield so far, with close to half a million people visiting Anfield and have boosted the local economy by more than £31 million

Read full news in source page