lgbtqnation.com

New report from European medical orgs declares unwavering support for gender-affirming care

MADRID, SPAIN - MARCH 14, 2021: Protestor holds a trans flag during a demonstration to demand the approbation of the Trans Law in Spain

A new report from a slate of European medical organizations emphasizes the importance of gender-affirming care for transgender youth. It also condemns the UK’s controversial Cass Review that claimed gender-affirming care is dangerous for young people.

The new 400-page report, released last week and written in German, included 26 medical and psychotherapeutic professional organizations from Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. According to an analysis and translation by transgender journalist Erin Reed, the guidelines recommend puberty blockers for trans youth, as well as individualized care.

Related:

Donald Trump’s ban on gender-affirming care blocked by federal judge

President Trump thought he could step over state rights to govern but this judge was not having any of it.

The report adds, “If, in individual cases, the progressive pubertal maturation development creates a time pressure in which health damage would be expected due to longer waiting times to avert irreversible bodily changes (e.g. male voice change), access to child and adolescent psychiatric or psychotherapeutic clarification and medical treatment options should be granted as quickly as possible.”

Global perspectives delivered right to your inbox

Our newsletter bridges borders to bring you LGBTQ+ news from around the world.

Email * Email Frequency Frequency *

Daily Brief

Week in Review

Week in Good News

The report also slams the Cass Review for recommending psychotherapy as a treatment for gender dysphoria rather than gender-affirming care, since “none of the studies included in the review in question were able to show a reduction in gender dysphoria through psychotherapy.”

The Cass Review is a 400-page review of oft-cited research on gender-affirming care for minors. The review concluded that there’s little reliable evidence showing positive outcomes from such care and urged “extreme caution” before giving minors puberty blockers or hormone replacement therapy. It also said that “life-changing” decisions on gender-affirming care should be put off until adulthood since the brain continues maturing into the mid-20s.

Outraged trans activists said the Cass Review excluded hundreds of studies showing the critical benefits of gender-affirming care for youth. Reed eviscerated Cass’s findings at the time of its release, saying the report included concepts rejected by more than 60 mental health organizations, including the American Psychological Association.

Reed said the new guidelines from Germany, Switzerland, and Austria “mark a significant advancement for transgender healthcare in those countries, reinforcing a growing trend in Europe toward expanding, not restricting, access to gender-affirming care.” Its recommendations, she added, “dismantle the false narrative that Europe is ‘pulling back’ on transgender care. In reality, it is the United States that stands as an outlier, with its regressive policies placing it far to the right of much of the Western world.”

She also called out the media for ignoring the new report recommending gender-affirming care despite publishing piece after piece on the Cass Review.

She wrote on Bluesky, “Anyone find it funny how when the UK releases the Cass review to ban trans care, we get everything ranging from New York Times push notifs to op-eds in every major US paper… But when Germany, Switzerland, and Austria release pro-trans youth care guidelines, not a single article anywhere but mine?”

Anyone find it funny how when the UK releases the Cass review to ban trans care, we get everything ranging from New York Times push notifs to op-eds in every major US paper… But when Germany, Switzerland, and Austria release pro-trans youth care guidelines, not a single article anywhere but mine?

[image or embed]

— Erin Reed (@erininthemorning.com) March 10, 2025 at 5:52 PM

Subscribe to the LGBTQ Nation newsletter and be the first to know about the latest headlines shaping LGBTQ+ communities worldwide.

Don't forget to share:

Discover more

News (World)

Cass Review gender-affirming care Good News Trans Youth

Support vital LGBTQ+ journalism

Reader contributions help keep LGBTQ Nation free, so that queer people get the news they need, with stories that mainstream media often leaves out. Can you contribute today?

Once Monthly Annually

$5 $10 $25 $50

Cancel anytime · Proudly LGBTQ+ owned and operated

A trans woman called 911 for help. Police shot & killed her.

linda becerra moran LAPD

A distraught trans sex worker was shot by police at a San Fernando Valley motel last month after she called 911 for help, claiming she had been kidnapped.

The incident was captured on officers’ body-worn video released Sunday by the Los Angeles Police Department.

Linda Becerra Moran, 30, was admitted to an area hospital in grave condition on February 7. She died three weeks later after being removed from life support.

Responding officers interviewed Becerra Moran in the motel room for several minutes before the shooting took place. She reported being struck in the head several times with a bottle, and cops checked her for evidence of injury.

Becerra Moran became agitated when officers expressed doubt about her claim. She moved toward a kitchenette at the back of the room and picked up a knife, holding it to her throat. A group of three to four officers drew their guns as a supervisor instructed them to move back.

Video shows a single officer — identified by LAPD as Jacob Sanchez, a four-year department veteran — at the doorway as Becerra Moran weaves through the empty room in his direction, knife in hand. Becerra Moran is about 15 feet from Sanchez when the officer shoots.

Becerra Moran paused where she stood near the bed and slowly fell across it.

The victim, originally from Ecuador, had no online presence and left few clues about how she ended up in the Valley motel.

In the 911 call, Becerra Moran is heard saying that a man in a different room was holding her against her will and bringing other men into the room.

“I swear to you, I have no reason to lie to you. Lord Jesus Christ,” she tells the 911 dispatcher, sobbing into the phone.

“Are they forcing you to do this?” the dispatcher asks.

“Yes,” Becerra Moran responds.

The dispatcher described Becerra Moran as a “danger to herself” ahead of the police response.

Kim Soriano, a researcher with the Sidewalk Project, a Skid Row nonprofit, encountered Becerra Moran on numerous occasions and recalled her independence.

“She was just determined to survive. She was very resilient; like she knew what she wanted and she knew what she liked and what made her comfortable,” she told The Los Angeles Times.

She described Becerra Moran as a devout Catholic, who carried around a five-pound statuette of the Virgin of Guadalupe in her battered suitcase.

“She told me that she carried it all around with her and it offered her protection,” said Soriano.

Becerra Moran said of the statuette, “Be careful with her, because she’s come a long way with me.”

Subscribe to the LGBTQ Nation newsletter and be the first to know about the latest headlines shaping LGBTQ+ communities worldwide.

Don't forget to share:

The creator of a women’s gym that has not yet opened in London originally promised that her business would be trans-inclusive, but has now walked back her promise with a message that implies that trans women are likely to sexually assault cis women, which is false.

Fitness influencer Natalee Barnett has been talking about her project to make an all-women gym in London since at least 2021 when she launched a GoFundMe for it. At the time, she said that trans women would be welcome at the athletic club, which she calls, “The Girls Spot.”

Related:

New “holiday” honors day J.K. Rowling “came out” as an opponent of trans rights

The parties are BYOH – Bring Your Own Horcrux.

“Respectfully, if you have a problem with trans women attending my gym then you can find another gym to train at,” she tweeted at the time. “I have discussed this several times before. trans women are women and also a minority that need to be protected. Please keep your transphobia away.”

Global perspectives delivered right to your inbox

Our newsletter bridges borders to bring you LGBTQ+ news from around the world.

Email * Email Frequency Frequency *

Daily Brief

Week in Review

Week in Good News

Four years later – and closer to the opening of The Girls Spot – Barnett has changed her mind about the policy.

“When I made that tweet in 2021, I had just announced my plans to open a women’s only gym. I hadn’t thought out the vision or the mission of what it would entail,” she said in a video posted to social media, Out reports. “The Girls Spot Gym exists as a safe space for women because we’re now facing gym harassment, sexual assault, and sexual violence inside of gyms and I know that because I am a victim of it. The meaning for The Girls Spot gym is now entirely different.”

“It will be operating as a single sex space for biological women,” she continued. “It is imperative that I stick to the vision and the mission and ensure that these women feel safe.”

The implication that trans women are more likely to commit acts of violence against cis women is not supported by research. In fact, transgender people are more likely to be the victims of such violence compared to cis people.

Some people responded to her post with disappointment, with one person pointing out that the policy would be difficult to enforce without “checking private parts at the door” and could lead to “transvestigation,” which is a term for when people try to determine whether someone else is trans, often by closely examining their features.

Barnett responded by doubling down.

“The decision to have The Girls Spot as a single sex gym for those biologically female was not an easy decision and something that I thought over for many years,” she wrote on X in a post that has since been deleted. “My hope is that every woman cis and trans finds a space as they need to feel secure strong and empowered.”

Much of Barnett’s social media posts are about the necessity of a women’s gym, citing men’s behavior at mainstream gyms as the reason a women’s only gym is needed.

Subscribe to the LGBTQ Nation newsletter and be the first to know about the latest headlines shaping LGBTQ+ communities worldwide.

Don't forget to share:

News (World)

London Transphobia United Kingdom

Support vital LGBTQ+ journalism

Reader contributions help keep LGBTQ Nation free, so that queer people get the news they need, with stories that mainstream media often leaves out. Can you contribute today?

Once Monthly Annually

$5 $10 $25 $50

Cancel anytime · Proudly LGBTQ+ owned and operated

Read full news in source page