birminghammail.co.uk

Unai Emery sent Aston Villa transfer message amid unanimous Lucas Digne point

Aston Villa's new arrivals have impressed - but it's an older face also receiving the plaudits.

Comments

Sport

Aston Villa left-back Lucas Digne has been one star performer this season.

Aston Villa left-back Lucas Digne has been one star performer this season.

(Image: Photo by James Gill - Danehouse/Getty Images)

Aston Villa's new arrivals from the January transfer window have impressed, with big decisions to make in the summer on players like Marco Asensio and Marcus Rashford - but some fans in the Birmingham Live comments section say that an older face deserves to be in the conversation too as his contract ticks down.

Lucas Digne has been an ever-present in the squad for Premier League, Champions League and FA Cup fixtures, featuring in all but one top-flight game and starting 25 of the 29 matches so far. Digne joined Villa in 2022, when the club was under the leadership of Steven Gerrard, for a deal worth up to £25million from Everton.

Digne has quietly been one of the club's most consistent players, but will enter the 2025/2026 season with one year left on his contract. At 31-years-old, Villa might be reluctant to part with the sort of wages and contract that Digne could reasonably demand as he nears the final stage of his top-flight career - not just because of his age, but for the need to keep a lid on their wage expenditure throughout the squad as per competition rules.

But he's done enough to earn an extended stay at Villa Park, according to some fans. Reader Chosen in 1957 says: "Digne's delivery from the left flank into the box has been outstanding and the best since he joined the Villa. He can also defend as we saw on Saturday when 15-goal Bryan Mbeumo was kept as quiet as a church mouse.

"The left side was excellent with him, JJ and [Youri] Tielemans, so effective and dangerous. The squad rotation has kept Lucas fit and firing and a contract extension is a no-brainer for Unai [Emery] and co."

Commenter Henjon writes: "Player-of-the-season for me, because he's so consistent. And he had Mbeumo in his pocket on Saturday. Against Liverpool, I have not seen anyone play Salah so well. He must be given a new contract, possibly at a lower salary.”

Devon Villain agrees: "Has to be re-signed. His fitness level means he can continue to perform for a few more years yet. Has been an absolute stand out player and yet so humble."

Spookyboy writes: "An absolute key member of our team, now and going forward." Ansellsvillaman says: "Very dependable and puts in his fair share of assists. A good signing by Steven Gerrard."

Curomassfraudvictim says: "I for one see no reason whatsoever for Villa to not ensure that Lucas stays at Villa for a further two years at least. But then again, the norm is to offer three years, and the only downside would be a repeat of any prospective interest, albeit not on the high scale of Duran, any offers would have to be significant to tempt Lucas or Villa for that matter.

"Lucas is solid, intelligent and often produces some truly classy, spot-on long crosses into the box and we cannot risk losing that along with his defensive prowess."

Have your say! Does the need to control Villa's wage expenditure mean that they should part with players like Digne? Comment below, and join in on the conversation.

Read full news in source page