SYDNEY - Australia on March 12 said it was “really disappointing” that US President Donald Trump did not give it exemptions from [US steel and aluminium tariffs](https://www.straitstimes.com/business/economy/why-trump-wants-higher-tariffs-on-steel-and-aluminum), but vowed to continue lobbying the US administration for a reprieve.
Mr Trump agreed in February to consider exempting Australia from the tariffs in view of the US trade surplus with the country, following a phone call with Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese.
However, the White House announced on March 11 that the previously planned tariffs of 25 per cent on all imported steel and aluminium products into the US from all countries would take effect on March 12 – with no exceptions or exemptions.
Australian Deputy Prime Minister Richard Marles said his government would continue to press the Trump administration for an exemption.
“Well, obviously, it’s really disappointing news,” he told radio station 2GB.
“Tariffs don’t make any sense, it’s an act of kind of economic self-harm. We’ll be able to find other markets for our steel and our aluminium, and we have been diversifying those markets.”
During his first presidential term, Mr Trump exempted Australia from US tariffs on steel and aluminium.
Mr Marles said: “Last time around, it was nine months before we got an exemption in relation to steel and aluminium out of the Trump administration in its first term. So, we’ll keep pressing the case.”
A key US security ally in the Indo-Pacific, Australia is a small global exporter of steel, although it is the world’s largest exporter of the main steelmaking raw material iron ore. Australia accounted for 1 per cent of steel imports into the US and 2 per cent of its aluminium imports. REUTERS
Join [ST's Telegram channel](https://t.me/TheStraitsTimes) and get the latest breaking news delivered to you.