Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Alexander Isak has received an award following Newcastle United’s Carabao Cup semi-final win over Arenal.
Newcastle United star Alexander Isak has been named the Carabao Cup Player of the Round for his performances against Arsenal in the semi-finals.
Eddie Howe’s beat the Gunners 4-0 on aggregate, winning both the home and away leg 2-0, with Isak opening the scoring at the Emirates before seeing a thunderous strike at St James’ Park ruled out for offside.
In the other semi-final encounter, Liverpool lost the first leg 1-0 but recovered at Anfield to win 4-1 via goals from Cody Gakpo, Mohammed Salah, Dominik Szoboszlai and Virgil van Dijk.
However, it is Isak who has been recognised as the ‘player of the round’.
A statement on the EFL website read: “Newcastle United striker Alexander Isak has been awarded the Carabao Cup Player of the Round for the Semi-Final.
“The 25-year-old has been pivotal in the Magpies' run to Wembley and scored an important goal in their Semi-Final first leg clash away to Arsenal.
“Isak opened the scoring with his when he pounced on poor Arsenal defending from a long ball in the first half. He also found the back of the net in the second leg, but the goal was subsequently ruled out for offside by VAR.
“Nevertheless Newcastle secured a place in the Final for the second time in three seasons and will take on Liverpool FC for the trophy on Sunday, March 16 at Wembley.”
Newcastle United’s hopes of winning the Carabao Cup rest with Alexander Isak
It goes without saying how important Isak is to Newcastle’s hopes of lifting the Carabao Cup and ending their 70-year wait for a domestic trophy.
The Sweden international - United’s top goalscorer this campaign with 22 goals - missed the recent 2-0 defeat at Liverpool due to a groin issue but returned for the next match against Brighton & Hove Albion in the FA Cup fifth round.
Tightness forced Isak to withdraw just moments before the game went to extra-time. The 25-year-old recovered to start against West Ham United on Monday night before being replaced in the 79th minute.
And Howe played down any fears Isak had been brought off because of an injury.
He said: “Yes, I didn't take him off with an injury. I took him off because I thought he was tiring. But no issues that I'm aware of.”
Isak has scored on his last two appearances against the Reds. Before the visit to Anfield last month, the striker was heavily praised by Arne Slot.
Slot said: “It is an understatement to say Isak is in fine form. I think he is in excellent form. The team performance will help us control him. The more ball possession we have the more, the easier it is to control him, although he is definitely a threat on counter-attacks.
“The good thing for us is that we have two very good center-backs, who are probably one of the best players to play against him. We have two very good center-back and that is definitely what you need when you face a striker with the quality of Isak.”
Your next read:Liverpool confirm 'big' injury news ahead of Carabao Cup final as Newcastle United trio already ruled out.