newcastleworld.com

‘Special’ - Kieran Trippier confirms big Newcastle United change for Carabao Cup final

Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com

and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565

Visit Shots! now

Kieran Trippier has revealed Newcastle United will not stay on Wembley’s doorstep before the Carabao Cup final.

In 2023, the Magpies carried the hopes of a region on their shoulders having not reached a cup final for 24 years. Ironically, Manchester United - the club Newcastle faced in the 1999 final - posed the challenge.

Both clubs were evenly poised in the Premier League but, when the big occasion arrived, Eddie Howe’s men stumbled. Newcastle failed to turn up as the Red Devils coasted to a routine 2-0 victory.

A more measured run to the Carabao Cup final has resulted in the Magpies dispatching Nottingham Forest, AFC Wimbledon, Chelsea, Brentford and Arsenal. Thousands of supporters will flock to the capital but there is an air of calmness around Tyneside this time around.

NewcastleWorld has launched a new dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel to bring you the latest news, analysis and insight from St James' Park. Be part of the conversation -click here to join.

Mixed on-field results led to accusations that the cup final has distracted the players but, in truth, Newcastle have been patchy since last season. As for supporters, they have taken a more measured approach - although that could change as the weekend draws closer.

Speaking following the 1-0 win over West Ham United, Toon ace Trippier opened up about the pandemonium that surrounded the game last time. The 34-year-old also let slip that Newcastle will not be staying at the Hilton Wembley - located just 140 yards from the stadium.

“Staying at the Hilton was too close, shall we say," Trippier said. "It’s about learning. The club learned a lot from the first time around. A lot more things are well organised this time. I’m not saying it was bad last time but we’re more prepared because we’ve been in this position now.

“We played United in the last cup final and we’re more relaxed. Now we’ve just got to review this game (against West Ham) and look forward to another special occasion at the weekend against Liverpool.”

Eddie Howe’s measured approach to Carabao Cup final

This revelation comes as part of a coordinated sequence to downplay the furore around the Wembley final. The 2023 whirlwind saw a frantic media day with several players conducting interviews leading up to the game.

Fast forward to the present and Howe’s media briefing will be business as usual this Friday. While one player is expected to accompany him, there is not going to be the same open environment as previously.

Howe is keen to make his mark at Wembley after failing to land a glove on Man United two years ago. He said after the semi-final win over Arsenal: "It is huge. The first appearance there was a bit unexpected, but we want to be there regularly, so it's not a surprise this time.

"We are there on merit. Our run has not been easy this year, so we've done the hard yards. Hopefully, we can learn from the last experience. We have come a long way since then. I would love to think we can go to Wembley and perform better."

Your next read:Newcastle United star undergoes surgery - 'devastated' about missing Carabao Cup final

Read full news in source page