aa.com.tr

Israeli army says 22 fighter jets conducted attack on southern Syria with more than 60 shells

**JERUSALEM**

The Israeli army claimed Wednesday that 22 fighter jets took part in an attack on southern Syria when it launched more than 60 shells.

"Israeli Air Force fighter jets carried out airstrikes on dozens of targets in southern Syria on Monday," the army said in a statement.

It said targets included "radars and reconnaissance equipment used for creating an aerial intelligence picture, as well as operational headquarters and military sites containing weapons and equipment belonging to the former Syrian regime in southern Syria."

The statement noted that "the jets dropped “over 60 shells on southern Syria."

Israel’s Channel 12, meanwhile, reported that the attack was "the largest operation carried out by the Israeli army in Syria since the wave of strikes following the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime."

The Daraa governorate reported the strikes on its official Telegram channel on Thursday and confirmed that warplanes hit the 12th Brigade in Izra and the artillery battalion of the 89th Regiment in the town of Jbab.

After the fall of Bashar Assad, Israel expanded its occupation of the Syrian Golan Heights by seizing the demilitarized buffer zone, a move that violated the 1974 disengagement agreement with Syria.

Israel also launched hundreds of airstrikes that targeted military sites and assets across Syria, including fighter jets, missile systems and air defense installations, according to reports.

Assad, Syria’s leader for nearly 25 years, fled to Russia after anti-regime groups took control of Damascus on Dec. 8, ending the Baath Party’s regime, which had been in power since 1963.

[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)

Read full news in source page