firstpost.com

Julian Alvarez penalty: Why was Atletico Madrid goal disallowed against Real Madrid? What does the rule say?

The Champions League Round of 16 clash between Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid witnessed a controversial penalty shootout moment. Julian Alvarez’s successful spot-kick was ruled out as Real Madrid won 4-2 on penalties.

read more

Real Madrid’s penalty shoot-out victory over city rivals Atletico Madrid in the Champions League Round of 16 was marred by a controversy after Julian Alvarez’s penalty kick was ruled out. Real Madrid had won the first leg 2-1 but Connor Gallagher’s first-minute strike at the Metropolitano Stadium on Wednesday allowed Atletico to draw level on aggregate, forcing the match into extra time and then penalties.

Real Madrid eventually won the penalty shoot-out 4-2, but not before a lot of drama. Alvarez from Atletico was the fourth to take a penalty after the first three were converted successfully.

Advertisement

Why Julian Alvarez’s penalty goal was cancelled?

The Argentina forward also converted his strike to make it 2-2 but not without slipping and falling. As Atletico fans started to celebrate, Polish referee Szymon Marciniak pointed out that Alvarez’s penalty had been ruled out by the video assistant referee (VAR).

The replays showed that his left foot made minor contact with the ball before he fired it in with his right.

Fede Valverde and Atletico’s Angel Correa then scored the next ones to make it 3-2 in Real’s favour.

Atletico goalkeeper Jan Oblak later saved Lucas Vazquez’s kick to give Atletico some hope but Marcos Llorente’s miss left it for Antonio Rudiger to score and help Real Madrid qualify for the quarter-finals.

What does the rule say about Julian Alvarez’s penalty kick?

Article 14.1 of the IFAB (International Football Association Board) laws of the game governs the penalties. As per the rule, “The kicker must not play the ball again until it has touched another player.”

Which is why the Alvarez penalty kick was cancelled, as he took two touches.

Have you ever seen anything like it?

Despite slipping, Julian Alvarez thought he had scored his penalty kick.

But after a VAR intervention, it was ruled out after it hit the net for a double touch.#UCL

🎥 @footballontnt pic.twitter.com/cnoGYZVC2y

— The Athletic | Football (@TheAthleticFC) March 12, 2025

Simeone blasts VAR after penalty controversy

Atletico coach Diego Simeone was naturally livid with the VAR decision and questioned the controversial call.

“The referee said when Julian got to the penalty spot he touched the ball with his standing foot, but the ball did not move,” Simeone said. “I’ve never seen a penalty where they’ve called the VAR, but well, they would have seen that he touched it. I want to believe they saw he touched it.

Advertisement

“Did you see him touching the ball twice? Please whoever was present in the stadium and saw him touching the ball twice, the ball moving, please come forward and raise your hand. I don’t see anybody with their hand raised so that’s all I have to say… next question.”

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti was happy with the decision made.

“They detected it. When we realised there was this doubt they had already detected it on VAR,” Ancelotti said.

“I saw it, I think he touches it with his left foot, a second touch.”

More from Football

End of Article

Read full news in source page