aa.com.tr

Latakia governor vows accountability for civilian abuses in Syria’s coastal violence

LATAKIA, Syria

The governor of northwestern Syria’s Latakia province vowed on Wednesday to bring those involved in violations against civilians to justice.

In an interview with Anadolu, Mohammad Osman outlined the events sparked by coordinated attacks from the loyalists of the ousted Bashar al-Assad regime on March 6, along with the government’s measures to investigate and stabilize the region.

Osman accused the deposed regime of decades-long sectarian incitement, portraying itself as a protector of minorities.

“Since the Baath’s fall, we’ve prioritized dialogue with all societal segments in Latakia to build a unified state,” he said, noting that such cohesion angered Assad loyalists seeking to exploit the province’s diversity for chaos.

He said that their goal was to delay stability, knowing security forces would soon hunt down those complicit in Syrian bloodshed.

The coastal provinces of Latakia and Tartus saw heightened tensions last week – the most intense since Assad’s fall – when loyalist groups launched assaults on security patrols and checkpoints, resulting in casualties.

Following Assad’s fall on Dec. 8, 2024, Syria’s new authorities offered amnesty to former regime personnel who surrendered weapons and had no blood on their hands.

While tens of thousands complied, armed factions, particularly on the coast, once a stronghold of Assad’s top brass, rejected the initiative, retreating to mountainous areas and launching destabilizing attacks.

Sectarian rhetoric

Osman criticized individuals who emerged post-unrest with sectarian rhetoric, inciting violence against the state, which fueled community tensions.

“We’ve worked for months to prevent such divisive incidents,” the governor stressed.

Detailing the unrest’s onset, Osman said it began with attacks on security and police centers, escalating on March 6 when Assad loyalists ambushed a security force near Jableh, south of Latakia.

Within hours, armed remnants spread across roads linking Tartus, Latakia, and Idlib, cutting routes and engaging in heavy clashes, he added, noting that the violence sparked public outrage and drew over 50,000 people from other provinces to the coast.

“We couldn’t initially control the flood of arrivals,” Osman admitted, noting that some weren’t under Defense or Public Security command.

He said security and intelligence agencies are tracking those who fueled the chaos, with reports indicating ex-regime officers hiding in Latakia’s mountains orchestrated efforts to turn locals against the state.

Equal treatment

Osman reported significant damage from the unrest, with Assad’s loyalists and outlaws targeting the main power line to Latakia, cutting electricity and water services.

“Stability has noticeably returned over the past two days,” he noted, with residents and institutions resuming normalcy.

Accompanied by Interior Minister Ali Kadda, Osman recently toured the province to reassure locals, doubling security personnel to ensure full coverage.

“We will hold accountable anyone sowing division or seeking to fragment Syria,” he vowed, emphasizing equal treatment under the law regardless of sect or ethnicity.

“We urge our people to return to their villages and workplaces with confidence,” he said, reaffirming the new administration’s commitment to civil peace and unity across Syria’s diverse fabric.

Investigations

On the ongoing investigations into the unrest, Osman said President Ahmed al-Sharaa has been in daily contact since it began, monitoring conditions and response measures.

A fact-finding committee formed by Sharaa is set to arrive in Latakia on Thursday to investigate civilian abuses, assaults on security forces, and public institutions, identifying and referring perpetrators to justice.

Osman pledged full support to ensure the panel’s work proceeds unimpeded.

Assad, Syria’s leader for nearly 25 years, fled to Russia on Dec. 8, 2024, ending the Baath Party regime, which had been in power since 1963.

Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. Please contact us for subscription options.

Read full news in source page