sportbible.com

Fabrizio Romano drops Chelsea transfer bombshell as Blues hijack Man United deal

Chelsea have hijacked Manchester United's move for one of their top targets, as per a bombshell dropped by Fabrizio Romano.

Ruben Amorim brought two players in the January window at United, with Patrick Dorgu and Ayden Heaven joining from Lecce and Arsenal respectively.

But the 13-time Premier League winners are in desperate need of a squad overhaul and there were strong reports indicating that they had agreed a deal for Amorim's priority signing.

Though Amorim immediately stated he would not try to sign players from his old club Sporting CP, Portuguese outlet A BOLA, United claimed United had struck a deal to sign 17-year-old winger Geovany Quenda.

The wonderkid was handed by his debut by Amorim in August 2024 and became the youngest player to score for the Lisbon giants.

Amorim described him as "very talented" and "very mature" and in September Quanda penned a deal contract which saw his release clause improve from €45 million to €100 million.

But just when it looked like United had an agreement in place for the prospect, early on Friday morning Romano reported that Chelsea had gazumped their Premier League rivals as he claimed "here we go" on the transfer.

Quenda was wanted by Manchester United but has reportedly already signed for Chelsea. Image: Getty

Quenda was wanted by Manchester United but has reportedly already signed for Chelsea. Image: Getty

Romano said a medical had been completed after a "secret blitz", with Quenda poised to remain at Sporting for another season before joining Chelsea in 2026.

On X, formerly known as Twitter, Romano said: "Chelsea agree deal for Portuguese top talent Geovany Quenda, here we go!

"Medical DONE for Quenda after secret blitz, he will join Chelsea in 2026. Club to club agreement completed with Sporting and Quenda said yes to Chelsea project & Enzo Maresca’s plans."

Able to play as a wing-back, Quenda has played 43 times in all competitions for Sporting and received a call-up from the Portugal national team back in August.

Man City star has given his seal of approval

Manager Roberto Martinez said he has a "spectacular future" in the game, while Manchester City and Portugal midfielder Bernardo Silva also raved about his qualities.

"It is impressive to see the level Quenda is at at this age," Silva said in a September press conference.

"I didn't play for Benfica's youth team. It wasn't for the juniors, it was for the youth team. I didn't play for Benfica's youth team. Seeing him at 17 years old representing Sporting and the national team, it is because he deserves it and has the skills to be here.

"If he continues, he will certainly reach greater heights than he is at now."

Read full news in source page