Everton defender Jarrad Branthwaite will be sitting eagerly waiting for a call-up to Thomas Tuchel’s England squad.
Friday marks the first England squad to be named by the German after taking on the role at the start of the year.
As always, the announcement is going to cause some frustrations across fanbases, but Everton will be hopeful of seeing Branthwaite selected.
It has been another strong season for the Toffees defensively, with David Moyes carrying over the good work done at the back under Sean Dyche.
At the centre of the defence has been Branthwaite who has impressed Rio Ferdinand alongside James Tarkowski.
Ahead of the announcement this afternoon, Branthwaite’s fate has now been speculated by some incredibly reliable journalists.
Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images
Photo by Dan Istitene/Getty Images
Jarrad Branthwaite England decision made by Thomas Tuchel
With a big future ahead of him, Branthwaite has shared his desire to win trophies at the top level during his career.
For now, he has been battling against relegation and for a spot in the England senior side.
MORE EVERTON STORIES
However, reliable journalist Mike McGrath has now suggested the 23-year-old may well be waiting a little longer for his phone to ring showing Tuchel’s name.
‘Everton centre-back Jarrad Branthwaite likely to miss out on England recall despite form under David Moyes where he has played every game,’ he said on social media.
‘Dan Burn to get call up and add to Thomas Tuchel’s centre-back options.’
Branthwaite has hinted towards staying at Everton, with the club keen to hand the centre-back a bumper new deal for his efforts.
But there is strong interest in the defender this summer.
Real Madrid are keen on Branthwaite, and this England decision may well raise questions as to what a big move could do for his international hopes.
What Jarrad Branthwaite said about an England call-up
It has been a solid season for Branthwaite who has returned to being a mainstay following his injury earlier in the season.
Everton fans slammed Dyche for not playing Branthwaite immediately after his return, but he has now maintained his spot alongside the captain.
Although it has not proven to be enough to earn a spot in the England squad, Branthwaite will now benefit from a couple of weeks’ rest ahead of a busy April for Everton.
Speaking to BBC Sport, the defender admitted he was keeping an eye out for the call-up.
“I think every player does have an eye on it,” Branthwaite said.
“I missed out recently with a big squad and I don’t want that feeling again. That gave me motivation to [make sure] every game I play is my best to help my club and then give myself the best possible chance to be in the England squad.
“Once it comes around, that is my main ambition – to be picked in that squad.”