Some 6.7-million additional people are expected to be newly displaced around the world by the end of next year, the Danish Refugee Council said on Friday, just as aid cuts from key donors like the US take effect.
The UN refugee agency said last year that the number of forcibly displaced people around the globe stood at over 117-million people and warned that number could rise.
"These are not cold statistics. These are families forced to flee their homes, carrying next to nothing, and searching for water, food, and shelter," said Charlotte Slente, secretary general of the Danish Refugee Council in a statement.
Twenty-seven countries account for nearly a third of all global displacements. The projection is based on an AI-driven model that predicts displacement trends by analysing over 100 indicators including factors such as security, politics and economics in those countries.
It forecasts that nearly a third of new displacements will be from [Sudan](https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/africa/2025-03-13-sudans-refugees-face-deadly-game-of-snakes-and-ladders-in-libya/), which is already the world's worst refugee crisis after nearly two years of war. Another 1.4-million people are expected to be forcibly displaced from [Myanmar](https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/world/2025-03-06-watch-thailand-pushes-to-repatriate-foreigners-rescued-from-myanmar-scam-centres/), the report said.