miamiherald.com

Hamas to Free American Hostage Edan Alexander in Boost for Trump

Hamas announced it had agreed to free American-Israeli hostage Edan Alexander in the next phase of a ceasefire with Israel to exchange hostages seized in the October 7, 2023 attack on Israel.

Why It Matters

U.S. President Donald Trump had urged the release of the American hostage along with remaining Israeli hostages, sending an ultimatum to Hamas last week. Trump has since met with several hostages released by Hamas during a first phase of a U.S.-brokered ceasefire between Israel and the militant group.

Alexander's release would be a boost for Trump's strong push to get hostages released, which has included contacts with Hamas that had surprised the Israeli government.

What To Know

Hamas said its leadership delegation had received a proposal on Thursday from mediators to resume negotiations, to which it responded positively.

"The response included Hamas' agreement to release the Israeli soldier Aidan Alexander, who holds American citizenship, along with the remains of four others with dual citizenship," the group said in a statement on Friday.

U.S. Middle East Envoy Steve Witkoff, who held ceasefire negotiations in Qatar on Wednesday, told reporters that Alexander was a top priority for the U.S.

Hamas killed some 1,200 Israelis in the October 7, 2023, attack that started the war and took around 250 hostages, according to Israeli tallies. At least 48,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israel's Gaza offensive, according to officials in the Hamas-run territory cited by the Associated Press.

What People Are Saying

Hamas: "The movement reaffirmed its full readiness to engage in negotiations and reach a comprehensive agreement on the issues of the second phase, calling for the occupation to be held accountable for fulfilling all its commitments."

U.S. Middle East Envoy Steve Witkoff: "Edan Alexander is very important to us, as are all the hostages, but Edan is an American and he's injured, so he's top priority for us."

What Happens Next?

The release of Edan Alexander means that the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas continues for now and that improves prospects for further negotiations, with the United States as the key broker along with Qatar and Egypt.

Updated on 03/14/2025 at 7:42 a.m. ET with additional details

Related Articles

Trump Tower Lobby Taken Over by Jewish Protesters Supporting Mahmoud Khalil

Trump Admin Pushes New Ceasefire Plan Amid Israel-Hamas Talks: Report

Hamas Responds to Donald Trump on Gaza Expulsions

Florida Theater Faces Closure for Showing Palestinian Film 'No Other Land'

2025 NEWSWEEK DIGITAL LLC.

This story was originally published March 14, 2025 at 7:08 AM.

Read full news in source page