Thomas Tuchel hasn’t pleased the Everton fanbase after his early decisions as England manager involving Jarrad Branthwaite
The new Three Lions boss will no doubt receive scrutiny for the decisions he makes in terms of his future England squad decisions.
But Tuchel denied Branthwaite an England call-up, which has not settled well at all.
The fury stems from Dan Burn being picked over Branthwaite as it’s left Evertonians in bafflement.
However, Tuchel has now been told another Everton player deserves a shout, and it’s not one you’d expect.
Photo by Joe Prior/Visionhaus via Getty Images
Photo by Joe Prior/Visionhaus via Getty Images
Thomas Tuchel told he made mistake not calling-up James Tarkowski
It’s a difficult scenario for the Three Lions manager, but it seems like many aren’t happy with the German’s first choices.
As well as Burn, Jarrel Quansah was someone who controversially got selected, as Branthwaite’s absence certainly raises eyebrows.
This lead to Everton’s media defending Branthwaite after he was snubbed, but James Tarkowski is someone else who deserves support.
MORE EVERTON STORIES
David Moyes has come out in his pre-match press conference and said Tarkowski does deserve a place as well as his other centre-back, and has explained why he thinks Tuchel has snubbed Everton’s defenders.
“I think Tarky has played really well, you’re right (about deserving a call-up),” Moyes said.
“I think maybe the levels we’ve been playing at would be something the England manager wouldn’t look at. So that gives us incentive for what we need to do.
“But Tarky has played really, really well.”
READ MORE: Chris Sutton thinks he knows exactly how Everton vs West Ham will end – David Moyes may send ‘wrong’ message
Tarkowski’s thoughts on England call-up as statistic at Everton speaks volumes
The premise is looking like Tuchel wants more from Everton players even though the Toffees are arguably one of the most in-form Premier League teams at the moment.
Tarkowski has been key to Moyes’ plans as he’s looking like a mainstay for years to come under the Scotsman, even though Tarkowski has hinted at a Saudi Arabia move.
But what the 32-year-old has said previously about England duty may leave Tuchel with his head in his hands.
Speaking to MailOnline, Tarkowski said: “I just look at myself and think I can bring something different to the England team.”
Not only does the centre-back have faith in his ability, but an emerging statistic from WhoScored.com proves that Tuchel made a mistake in leaving Tarkowski at home.
Highest rated English players in Europe's top five leagues not to make Thomas Tuchel's first squad:
◎ 7.07 – James Tarkowski
◎ 7.06 – Morgan Gibbs-White
◎ 7.06 – Jamie Gittens
◎ 7.06 – James Maddison
◎ 7.00 – Aaron Wan-Bissaka pic.twitter.com/x33dZeHGKA
— WhoScored.com (@WhoScored) March 14, 2025
View Tweet
It might be one the German lives to regret, as Moyes’ claims at the moment have been spot-on.
Nevertheless, Evertonians won’t complain, as Tarkowski and Branthwaite now get a well-earned break.