eureporter.co

Former British MEP to stand trial over Russia-linked bribes

A former British MEP will stand trial next year, accused of accepting bribes to make statements in the European Parliament that would benefit Russia.

Nathan Gill, 51, from Llangefni on Anglesey, is charged with eight counts of bribery and one count of conspiracy to commit bribery.

At a hearing in the Old Bailey in London on Friday, defence barrister Clare Ashcroft indicated that the former Wales MEP intended to enter not guilty pleas.

The court previously heard Mr Gill, who was a UKIP and later a Brexit Party MEP between 2014 and 2020, was alleged to have conspired with former Ukrainian politician Oleg Voloshyn between 1 January 2018 and 1 February 2020.

Mr Gill stood in the dock and spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth.

He was alleged to have been tasked by Mr Voloshyn on at least eight occasions to make specific statements in return for money.

Mr Voloshyn, a co-defendant in the case, is a former politician from the pro-Russian Opposition Platform for Life party. He is not thought to be in the UK.

An earlier court hearing heard the statements, made in the European Parliament and in opinion pieces to news outlets such as 112 Ukraine, were “supportive of a particular narrative” which would “benefit Russia regarding events in Ukraine”.

The February hearing was told that Mr. Gill was stopped at Manchester Airport on 13 September 2021 under anti-terror legislation.

That hearing was told his mobile phone was seized and evidence was found that police say suggested he was in a professional relationship with Mr Voloshyn and had agreed to “receive or accept monies in return for him performing activities as an MEP”.

Share this article:

Related Topics:

EU Reporter publishes articles from a variety of outside sources which express a wide range of viewpoints. The positions taken in these articles are not necessarily those of EU Reporter.

Read full news in source page