Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com
and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565
Visit Shots! now
Part of Manchester United’s summer plans have been derailed by Premier League rivals Chelsea
Manchester United’s hopes of winning the Europa League and in turn qualifying for the Champions League next season remain in tact after they defeated Real Sociedad 4-1 at Old Trafford on Thursday night.
The Red Devils overcame an early set-back as Sociedad took an early lead but a Bruno Fernandes hat-trick and Diogo Dalot in stoppage time set up a last-eight contest with Lyon. If United can navigate that tie, they will play Rangers or Athletic Club in the semi-finals.
Champions League football would make United’s summer plans easier to recruit their desired targets. Speaking ahead of Thursday’s win, Amorim said: "We have a clear plan to address next season. We have Europa League also and you can reach the Champions League as well - we are far from this moment, but it can change the preparation for next season. We know what to do. We know we're in a difficult moment, but it's important to have a plan and [to know] what kind of players you need to bring [in]."
United dealt Quenda blow
Sporting CP star Geovany Quenda appeared destined for a move to Old Trafford this summer but he has reportedly opted to join Premier League rivals Chelsea. BBC Sport reports the 17-year-old is set to sign a seven-year deal at Stamford Bridge after a fee of £40m was agreed in principle between the clubs. Quenda was handed his senior debut by Amorim at Sporing but will not join Chelsea until 2026.
Manchester World understands that the Red Devils’ interest in the highly-rated youngster was genuine. Meanwhile last month reports in Portugal from outlet A Bola already claimed a transfer to United was 'certain' to happen. They said United have been interested in the teenager since before Amorim was appointed and were well-placed to sign him if they wanted to. Now Chelsea have hijacked those plans as they continue their lavish spending. Quenda has two goals and eight assists in 43 games for Sporting.
United have already agreed one summer signing
United have signed a left wing-back ahead of the summer after they agreed a deal for Cerro Porteño defender Diego Leon. The teenager underwent a medical with the club earlier this year but is not allowed to move to Manchester until he turns 18 in April.
Technical director Jason Wilcox played a key role in securing the deal, along with lead South American scout Giuseppe Antonaccio, who pushed for the move. United have identified South America as an untapped market for potential bargain buys and will continue to monitor the continent for future youth recruits.
Although viewed as a first-team signing, the teenage full-back could be given time in the youth set up to settle in his new environment, just as Sekou Kone has since he joined last summer. He could even be sent out on loan to help bring him up to speed with European football.
In other news, Joshua Zirkzee has given a one-word verdict on Manchester United star who has earned Ruben Amorim trust.