Russia has boasted of capturing Australian-made Bushmaster armoured vehicles that were supplied to support Ukraine in the war.
A propaganda video was shared by Russia’s Embassy in Canberra and its Foreign Ministry, with soldiers showing off one of the $2.5 million four-wheel drives.
“The Australian government has gifted 120 Bushmasters to assist the Zelensky’s regime in fighting Russia to the last Ukrainian,” said a post by the Russia’s Australian Embassy on Facebook.
“Most of the vehicles were destroyed in combat, but some were captured. Russian forces will put them to proper use.”
The clip shows Russian soldiers exploring the interior of an empty Bushmaster and pointing out buttons and dials on the dashboard, such as a switch labelled “ignition”.
The soldiers express “gratitude” to the Australian Defence Force for “supplying” Russia with the Bushmasters, according to a translation.
The video states the armoured truck was abandoned in the Kursk region and “will serve us well”.
Australia supplied 120 Bushmaster Protected Military Vehicles to Ukraine as part of a military package totalling $710 million.
Russian President Vladimir Putin is currently considering the details of a proposed ceasefire brokered by the US but appeared to be stalling.
Putin said on Saturday (AEDT) that Russia supported the deal in principle, but fighting could not be paused until a number of crucial conditions were worked out or clarified.
US President Donald Trump said there was a “very good chance that this horrible, bloody war can finally come to an end” after “very good” discussions with Putin.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Anthony Albanese will join a phone hook-up of world leaders on Saturday night (AEDT) about peacekeeping efforts as part of a coalition of the willing.
The phone call was set up by UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer, with leaders from Germany, Italy, New Zealand, the EU and Canada to also take part.
The dialogue comes after a conference of European leaders earlier in March on peace efforts in Ukraine.
Ukraine’s ambassador to Australia Vasyl Myroshnychenko said it was too soon for discussion on whether Australia should join peacekeeping efforts.
“It’s just too early to discuss it and debate it, because we are still too far from the moment when actually they could be deployed because we need to achieve a ceasefire,” he told ABC TV.
“We don’t yet see it coming, because the troops can be only deployed when once the hostilities end, and that may take a while.”
Albanese said there was large levels of support across democratic nations for Ukraine’s efforts against Russia following the invasion in 2022.
“It’s an illegal war. It’s an immoral war, and it’s one led by a Russian authoritarian dictator who has imperialistic designs, not just on Ukraine, but on the region,” he said.
“This is a struggle for the Ukrainian people, but it’s also a struggle for the rule of international law that is so important.”
While there has been bipartisan support for Ukraine in Australia, Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has dismissed the idea of sending Australian peacekeepers to Ukraine as a “thought bubble”.
“The prime minister is wanting to commit thousands of our troops to go and serve in Europe. It doesn’t make any sense,” he said.
“Our job is to take care of our country and to make sure that we’re safe in our region, and to keep peace in our region, we’re going to have to invest in defence.”
Myroshnychenko said he was pleased the Australian prime minister was taking part in the talks with world leaders.
“What’s important for me as an ambassador in Ukraine is to make sure that Australia continues supporting us on the military side, because your Bushmasters have been saving many lives,” he said.
-with AAP