thenewstribune.com

Haason Speaks For the First Time with Bucs On ‘Weird and Bizarre’ Tale

When the New York Jets sent a conditional third-round pick in the 2026 Draft to the Philadelphia Eagles for All-Pro edge rusher Haason Reddick, the move was universally celebrated.

But after a disastrous campaign with the Jets, the veteran edge rusher has seen his market shrink so much that he had to sign a one-year deal worth just $14 million with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to kick off free agency this week.

Miami Dolphins quarterback Tyler Huntley (18) runs with the ball while being pursued by New York Jets defensive end Haason Reddick (7) during the second quarter at MetLife Stadium. Ed Mulholland-Imagn Images Ed Mulholland-Imagn Images

Now a member of the Bucs, Reddick is speaking out about how "weird" last season was for him.

"Very bizarre. Very bizarre, weird. But as I said, last year is last year," Reddick said at his introductory press conference. "The only thing on my mind is moving forward and looking toward the future. I'm looking forward to what I can bring the team here."

A parting shot for the Jets? It sure seems like it.

And what makes it "weird" is that last season wasn't all the Jets fault.

Reddick was one of just two players in the league to record over 10 sacks in each of the previous four seasons, including being a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year in 2022.

The caveat as to why Reddick was traded from his hometown team in Philadelphia, though, was the same reason why he became such a distraction with the Jets.

You see, Reddick wanted a new contract last offseason with one-year remaining on an original $45 million deal signed back in the 2022 Offseason. New York understood that and traded for him anyway with the expectation Reddick would play out the final year of his deal while the Jets would do what they could to bring him back after the season ended.

Related: Jets Eye Candidate To Replace Captain C.J. Mosely

That didn't happen, though. Instead of showing up to the team facility but still looking for a long-term deal, Reddick sat out all through offseason activities, training camp, and even missed the team's first six games.

When he was on the field, Reddick was uncharacteristically invisible with just 1.5 sacks on the season in 11 games played.

Now with the Buccaneers, the Pro Bowler is hoping to produce far more than he did in New York.

And potentially end a "weird" year that he began.

Related: Jets Eye Candidate To Replace Captain C.J. Mosely

Copyright 2025 The Arena Group, Inc. All Rights Reserved

This story was originally published March 14, 2025 at 2:33 PM.

Read full news in source page