newcastleworld.com

‘I’m going for’ - Andy Carroll breaks silence to give bold Newcastle United vs Liverpool…

Watch more of our videos on ShotsTV.com

and on Freeview 262 or Freely 565

Visit Shots! now

Andy Carroll will be roaring Newcastle United on with his family when Eddie Howe’s men face Liverpool this weekend.

Toon fans were heartbroken in January 2011 when Mike Ashley sanctioned a deadline-day sale. Just three months after penning a five-year extension at St James' Park, Carroll was heading to Liverpool for £35million.

The fee was a British record at the time and angered supporters who thought the Gateshead native would become the next great No.9. He wore the famous shirt for just four months before joining the Reds.

Carroll’s time at Anfield proved disastrous, with just 11 goals from 58 appearances. An injury-hit spell at West Ham United followed before he rejoined Newcastle on a free transfer.

NewcastleWorld has launched a new dedicated NUFC WhatsApp channel to bring you the latest news, analysis and insight from St James' Park. Be part of the conversation -click here to join.

The now 36-year-old plies his trade in the French fourth tier with Bordeaux but still keeps close tabs on Newcastle. Speaking to Sky Sports, Carroll revealed he will be backing the Magpies over former club Liverpool and is predicting a 2-1 win.

“It's (a trophy) something that every fan's been waiting for,” he told Sky Sports. “If it's going to happen, it's got to happen in the next few years, with the team and the manager. It would be brilliant to have it on Sunday (against Liverpool).

“The lads that have played in that (Wembley defeat to Manchester United) have got the experience. Isak is massive. I think he’s a player that we have to keep a hold of as well at the end of the season.

“He's just incredible, and when he's in the form that he is, he's great. Then you look at Liverpool and Salah as well. He's not stopping, is he? I think either player gets stopped. I think that will be (the key).”

“I'm going to have to ask the manager if I can leave straight from the game on Saturday and drive to Paris to fly home (and) get straight to the game on Sunday with the kids. Me and my boys are obviously wanting the win. My dad's coming with me, so we all want the win but it's going to be a tough one. I'm going to go 2-1 Newcastle.”

Andy Carroll never wanted to leave Newcastle United for Liverpool

Carroll previously disclosed how he secretly wanted his Liverpool medical to fail. Toon supporters heckled and jeered his return to St James’ Park a year later but the truth is the 6ft 4in striker never wanted to leave.

“I was injured at the time, and all I'm thinking is, ‘Please, just fail the medical’,” he told the Daily Mail in 2019. “The minute I got on that helicopter I wanted to come back. I knew it had to happen. Whatever age, I needed to walk back on that pitch and play for Newcastle again.

“Listen, I would have rather stayed at the time and all the way to the helicopter I'm thinking, ‘What is happening? What am I doing?’. But looking back, and how it shaped me as a player and a person, I would honestly still do it. I probably needed to get out of the city to grow up.”

YOUR NEXT READ:‘Lazy and overweight’ - Jose Mourinho tears intoNewcastle United favourite with brutal outburst

Read full news in source page