footballinsider247.com

Exclusive: Man United 'full takeover now on the cards' amid 'huge' reveal

Keith Wyness

Sat 15 March 2025 12:00, UK

Man United have announced an ambitious £2billion new stadium project but questions linger over how it will be funded.

Sir Jim Ratcliffe and INEOS are in charge of footballing operations but own just under 29% of the club, with the Glazer Family owning a 48.9% stake.

United accrued a record amount of debt under the Glazers and £337million is due for repayment by June 2027 after a restructuring 10 years ago.

According to Bloomberg (21 February), Ratcliffe will have the option to match any takeover offer made by a third party should the Glazers choose to sell the club in full.

Everton’s former chief Keith Wyness – who served as CEO at Goodison Park between 2004 and 2009 and now runs a football consultancy advising elite clubs – has had his say on “rumblings of discontent” between the two Man United ownership groups.

🏟️ "The history of Manchester United is so important."

Sir Jim Ratcliffe explains why we are building a new stadium and reaffirms his vision for the future 👇#MUFC

— Manchester United (@ManUtd) March 11, 2025

View Tweet

Ratcliffe has to find a way to secure full Man United takeover, says Wyness

Speaking on the new edition of Football Insider’s Inside Track podcast, Wyness suggested Ratcliffe has to find a way to stop the club “swimming under a huge burden of debt”.

MORE FOOTBALL INSIDER STORIES

Football Insider revealed last month (13 February) that the Man United co-owner could demand more shares in the club to help fund the Old Trafford regeneration project.

Position Team Played Points GD

12 Brentford 28 38 4

13 Tottenham 28 34 14

14 Man United 28 34 -6

15 Everton 28 33 -4

16 West Ham 28 33 -16

Premier League table (as of 14/03/2025)

Wyness insisted a clash between Ratcliffe and the Glazers is a “big issue” on the horizon.

He told Football Insider‘s Inside Track podcast: “You can also see rumblings of discontent with Ratcliffe and the Glazer Family.

“That’s a big issue coming up, in my opinion.

“There’s this £2billion stadium coming, and I think they will find the money to finance it – but just look at the Glazer debt.

“There’s going to have to be some financial engineering and a way for Ratcliffe to take that Glazer debt over.

“He has to keep the club from swimming under a huge burden of debt.

“There’s a lot of work to be done.”

Man United

Mainoo is reportedly ready to reject the offer of a new Man United contract. (Credit: Imago)

Man United hatch Mainoo transfer plan

Football Insider revealed on 14 March that Man United would prefer to sell midfielder Kobbie Mainoo abroad if he chooses to leave the club.

Talks are ongoing with the 19-year-old over a new deal but it has been widely reported that he is ready to reject the offer of a new Old Trafford contract and seek a move away.

United will open the door to a summer sale if they cannot find a contract agreement with Mainoo – but it is believed they plan to sell him abroad if possible.

For more Man United news, follow us on Facebook or join our brand new WhatsApp Channel for instant updates to be sent straight to your phone.

Related Posts

Read full news in source page