kansascity.com

Steelers Rejected by 9-Time Pro Bowl RB Despite Higher Offer

On Tuesday, the 49ers continued their purge of high-salaried veterans when they released fullback Kyle Juszczyk in what was viewed as a cost-cutting move. There are not many fullbacks left in the NFL, but the Steelers had an immediate interest in Juszczyk, hoping to secure one of the best blocking backs in the NFL.

Juszczyk has been to the Pro Bowl nine times, despite just a grand total of 237 yards rushing on 67 carrer carries over 12 seasons. He is an effective receiver, with 2,664 yards through the air on a total of 281 receptions.

Last year, the 33-year-old Juszczyk totaled just 226 yards from scrimmage on 24 touches, but was still a Pro Bowler.

But despite the significant interest from Pittsburgh, on Saturday, it was annoucned that Juszczyk would be returning to the 49ers.

ESPN reported, "Nine-time Pro Bowl fullback Kyle Juszczyk is returning to the San Francisco 49ers on a two-year, $8 million deal, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday. ... A source said Juszczyk took less than what the Pittsburgh Steelers were offering to return to San Francisco."

The Steelers and coach Mike Tomlin have been reworking their running-back room throughout the offseason. They let Najee Harris walk despite four straight years of 1,000-yard production, with harris signing on with the Chargers.

The Steelers are replacing him with Eagles free agent Kenneth Gainwell, on a one-year, $1.8 million deal.

Jaylen Warren will return to the team after the Steelers placed a $5.3 million second-round tender on him, and will work out a contract. The Steelers are expected to add a running back in next month's NFL draft.

Related: Kristin Juszczyk Announces Husband's Exciting 49ers News

Copyright 2025 Athlon Sports. All rights reserved.

This story was originally published March 15, 2025 at 9:26 AM.

Read full news in source page