inews.co.uk

'Lying' Putin preparing for fresh ground invasion of Ukraine, Zelensky warns

The Ukrainian leader, who warned Russia was preparing to attack the northeast Sumy region, said: 'We are aware of this, and will counter it'

Russia is preparing for a fresh ground invasion of Ukraine, despite Vladimir Putin claiming he supported a proposal for a 30-day ceasefire, Volodymyr Zelensky has warned.

Fighting is currently centred around Russia’s Kursk region but Zelensky said Saturday his troops now face a potential new attack on Ukraine’s northeast Sumy region.

Following briefing by his top general, the Ukrainian President said Kyiv’s troops were not encircled in Kursk and instead Moscow was accumulating forces nearby for a separate strike.

“This indicates an intention to attack our Sumy region,” he said. “We are aware of this, and will counter it.”

“I would like all (our) partners to understand exactly what Putin is planning, what he is preparing for, and what he will be ignoring.”

“The build-up of Russian forces indicates that Moscow intends to keep ignoring diplomacy. It is clear that Russia is prolonging the war.”

Any fresh incursion on Ukraine would disregard attempts led by US President Donald Trump’s administration to have Putin’s agreement for a 30-day truce. Ukraine has already agreed to the deal following talks with the US earlier this week.

DONETSK OBLAST, UKRAINE - MARCH 6: Ukrainian soldiers practice with the AT4 anti-tank launcher during firing training on March 6, 2025 in Donetsk Oblast, Ukraine. The Swedish-American AT4 disposable anti-tank launcher is a powerful anti-tank weapon that can effectively destroy enemy armored vehicles. The AT4 is relatively easy to use, which allows soldiers to quickly train in its use. This is especially important in combat situations where time and efficiency are crucial. (Photo by Roman Chop/Global Images Ukraine via Getty Images)

Ukrainian soldiers practice with the AT4 anti-tank launcher during firing training in Donetsk Oblast (Photo: Roman Chop/Global Images Ukraine via Getty)

Putin said on Thursday he supported in principle Trump’s proposal for a 30-day ceasefire, but would fight on until several crucial conditions were worked out. This would involve Ukraine abandoning its attempts to join Nato while also giving up control of regions seized by Russia during the three-year war.

Reacting to Putin’s comments on Saturday, Zelensky said the Russian leader was “lying to everyone” about his willingness to approve the implementation of a ceasefire in Ukraine and about the situation at the front.

Putin is “lying to everyone” about the situation on the ground in Ukraine and the difficulties of a proposed ceasefire, Volodymyr Zelensky has said.

“Putin is lying to everyone about the situation on the ground, especially about what’s happening in the Kursk region, where our Ukrainian forces continue their operations,” Zelensky said in a series of posts on social media. “Our troops have also stabilised the situation on the front in Donetsk region – specifically Pokrovsk.”

Russia has accelerated a push to drive Ukrainian forces out of Kursk, where they seized about 100 settlements in a shock counter-offensive into Russian territory last August. But Putin has said Ukraine’s soldiers are now “surrounded” in the region after Kremlin troops retook a series of settlements.

KURSK, RUSSIA - MARCH 12: (----EDITORIAL USE ONLY - MANDATORY CREDIT - 'KREMLIN PRESS OFFICE / HANDOUT' - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS----) A screen grab from a video shows Russian President Vladimir Putin, dressed in military uniform, visited a command post in Kursk, Russia on March 12, 2025. (Photo by Kremlin Press Office / Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Vladimir Putin, dressed in military uniform, visited a command post in Kursk, Russia on March 12 (Photo: Kremlin Press Office/Anadolu)

The Ukrainian armed forces have firmly denied that their troops have been encircled in Kursk, where Kyiv staged an incursion last year in a bid to secure a bargaining chip for possible talks and change the dynamic of the conflict.

Zelensky continued in his posts on social media: “Putin is also lying about how a ceasefire is supposedly too complicated. In reality, everything can be controlled, and we have discussed this with the Americans.

“The truth is, Putin has already dragged out the war for nearly a week after the talks in Jeddah. And he will keep dragging it out.”

Zelensky called for “strong pressure” to be applied on Russia until terms are agreed.

It comes as Sir Keir Starmer on Saturday said Western allies – without the US – would step up preparations to support Ukraine in the event of a ceasefire with Russia.

The Prime Minister hosted a virtual meeting in the hope of marshalling more pressure on Putin to accept a ceasefire deal and to gather commitments to help secure any agreement – something Trump has made clear he expects Europe to take on.

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer speaks with international leaders in a video conference at 10 Downing Street on March 15, 2025 in London, Britain. The call with European and world leaders was held to discuss the future of a peace plan in Ukraine. Leon Neal/Pool via REUTERS

Keir Starmer speaks with international leaders in a video conference at 10 Downing Street (Photo: Leon Neal/Pool via Reuters)

Around two dozen leaders took part, including those from Germany, France, Italy, Canada and Australia, as well as Zelenskiy and Nato’s secretary general. The US did not attend.

Starmer said the “coalition of the willing” had reaffirmed its commitment both to helping Ukraine resist Russia’s invasion and to securing any ceasefire that emerges from Trump’s overtures to Russia.

Starmer told reporters: “We agreed we will keep increasing the pressure on Russia, keep the military aid flowing to Ukraine, and keep tightening restrictions on Russia’s economy to weaken Putin’s war machine and bring him to the table.”

Jolted into action by Trump’s refusal to keep underwriting Europe’s and Ukraine’s security, other Western countries have been forced to step up.

“Our militaries will meet on Thursday this week here in the United Kingdom to put strong and robust plans in place to swing in behind a peace deal and guarantee Ukraine’s future security,” Starmer said.

“President Trump has offered Putin the way forward to a lasting peace. Now we must make this a reality.”

Britain and France both say they could send peacekeepers to Ukraine in the event of a ceasefire. Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese said his country was also open to requests.

Read full news in source page