**ISTANBUL**
US Special Envoy for Hostage Affairs Adam Boehler has withdrawn his nomination for the role, with plans to transition into a new envoy position that carries a broader mandate and does not require Senate confirmation, two White House officials confirmed to Axios.
A senior Trump administration official stated that Boehler’s withdrawal was planned for two weeks to facilitate his reassignment.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt emphasized that Boehler would continue working under President Donald Trump’s administration.
“Adam Boehler will continue to serve President Trump as a special government employee focused on hostage negotiations," Leavitt told Axios.
"Adam played a critical role in negotiating the return of Marc Fogel from Russia. He will continue this important work to bring wrongfully detained individuals around the world home," she added.
Last week, Boehler held a meeting with senior Hamas officials in Doha, Qatar, to discuss the release of Israeli prisoners held in Gaza—including five Americans—without Israel’s knowledge.
In interviews with US and Israeli media on Sunday, Boehler confirmed direct talks with Hamas, aiming to secure the release of all Israeli hostages, including American citizens.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio downplayed the diplomatic controversy, calling Boehler’s engagement with Hamas a “one-off situation” but reaffirmed his effectiveness in hostage negotiations.
“Boehler is fantastic at what he does and has already had tremendous success in getting people released around the world," Rubio said.
The Palestinian group Hamas on Friday said it has approved a mediators' proposal to resume negotiations by releasing an Israeli soldier with American citizenship and returning the bodies of four dual-national Israelis.
[Anadolu Agency website contains only a portion of the news stories offered to subscribers in the AA News Broadcasting System (HAS), and in summarized form. **Please contact us for subscription options.**](https://www.aa.com.tr/en/p/subscription/1001)