itv.com

Donald Trump announces airstrikes on Houthi-held areas in Yemen

Smoke rises from a location reportedly struck by U.S. airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen, Saturday, March 15, 2025. (AP Photo/Osamah Abdulrahman)

Smoke rises from a location reportedly struck by US airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen

US President Donald Trump announced that he had ordered a series of airstrikes on Houthi-held areas in Yemen.

It comes as the Houthis, an Iranian-backed rebel group, said 13 civilians were killed in airstrikes in the capital Sanaa on Saturday evening.

And it comes a few days after the group said they would continue attacks on Israeli ships sailing in water off Yemen, in response to Israel's blockade on Gaza.

Images circulating online show plumes of black smoke over the area of the Sanaa airport complex, which includes a sprawling military facility.

Smoke rises from a location reportedly struck by US airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen on Saturday, March 15 Credit: AP Photo/Osamah Abdulrahman

The Houthi media office said the US strikes hit a residential neighborhood in Sanaa’s northern district of Shouab. Residents said at least four airstrikes rocked the Eastern Geraf neighborhood there, terrifying women and children.

President Donald Trump said he ordered the airstrikes promising to use “overwhelming lethal force” until Iranian-backed Houthi rebels stopped attacks along the vital waterway.

He said in a social media post: “Our brave Warfighters are right now carrying out aerial attacks on the terrorists’ bases, leaders, and missile defenses to protect American shipping, air, and naval assets, and to restore Navigational Freedom.

“No terrorist force will stop American commercial and naval vessels from freely sailing the Waterways of the World.”

Image taken from video provided by the US Navy shows an aircraft launching in the Red Sea before airstrikes in Sanaa, Yemen. Credit: US Navy via AP

“These relentless assaults have cost the U.S. and World Economy many BILLIONS of Dollars while, at the same time, putting innocent lives at risk,” Trump said.

He also warned Iran to stop supporting the rebel group.

Nasruddin Amer, deputy head of the Houthi media office, said the airstrikes won’t deter them and they would retaliate.

He said on social media: “Sanaa will remain Gaza’s shield and support and will not abandon it no matter the challenges.”

President Donald Trump Credit: Win McNamee/Pool Photo via AP)

## 'Sooner or later' Putin will have to 'come to the table', Starmer says## Trump pleads with Putin to spare lives of 'vulnerable' Ukrainian troops

The United States, Israel and Britain have previously hit Houthi-held areas in Yemen. Israel’s military declined to comment.

Earlier this month, Israel halted all aid coming into Gaza and warned of “additional consequences” for Hamas if their fragile ceasefire in the war isn’t extended as negotiations continue.

The Houthis had targeted over 100 merchant vessels with missiles and drones, sinking two vessels and killing four sailors - as they targeted targeting military and civilian ships between the start of the war between Israel and Hamas in late 2023 and January of this year, when the ceasefire in Gaza took effect.

Want a quick and expert briefing on the biggest news stories? Listen to our latest podcasts to find out What You Need To Know

Read full news in source page