Dele Alli has shared the WhatsApp conversation he had with Ruben Loftus-Cheek after he was shown a red card on his Como debut for a challenge on the AC Milan midfielder.
After more than two years out, the former Everton and Spurs man made his much-anticipated return to football on Saturday night, when he replaced Lucas Da Cunha in the 81st minute.
It was Alli's first competitive appearance since February 2023, when he featured for Turkish side Besiktas in their 0-0 draw against Antalyaspor.
But in the dying embers of the game, his debut turned into a nightmare after he was sent off in the first minute of second-half stoppage time after catching the back of Ruben Loftus-Cheek’s calf.
The 28-year-old was initially shown a yellow card by referee Matteo Marchetti but after a VAR review, the caution turned into a red as Kyle Walker appeared to plead with the official to show some remorse.
On Sunday morning, Alli reacted to being sent off against AC Milan in a post on his Instagram story.
He wrote: "I was always going to announce my return in some way after these past two years, would rather it had been with a goal [cover face emoji] but feels good to be back [love heart emoji]."
And a few hours later, the former Spurs midfielder posted on his Instagram again. This time, he uploaded two in-game shots, as well as a picture from the Como dressing room ahead of kick-off.
Alli also gave an insight into his post-match conversation with Ruben Loftus-Cheek, posting a screenshot from WhatsApp.
As you can see from the image below, Alli admits to trying to clip Loftus-Cheek's heel, while the former Chelsea midfielder said he stayed down because he was "blowing" in the final stages.
Alli's post-match conversation with Loftus-Cheek. Image credit: X/Dele
Alli's post-match conversation with Loftus-Cheek. Image credit: X/Dele
Speaking in his post-match interview, Como manager Cesc Fabregas was in no mood to defend his player.
“It was at that moment when Milan went 2-1 up and Sergi Roberto was meant to come on, but I’d prefer to give him another two weeks to train so he can be ready to start against Empoli." he told DAZN.
“Dele Alli is a player who can score goals, he perhaps didn’t deserve this opportunity because he has only been working with us for two weeks and has a lot to improve. It is a grave mistake, one that we should not see from a player of his experience."
Fabregas added: “It was a clear red card, there’s nothing to be said about that, he left the team down to 10 men during a crucial moment when we were pushing for 2-2. That is the most negative thing about this evening, but we keep going.”