express.co.uk

Mason Greenwood transfer ‘confidence’, Man Utd reunion, staff’s stance on ‘attitude’

Former Manchester United forward Mason Greenwood could be facing further changes in his football career. The 23-year-old has been a key player for Marseille since leaving the Red Devils last summer but was recently dropped from Roberto De Zerbi's starting line-up amid reports of attitude issues.

Greenwood will be keen to return to the Italian's team, who travel to Paris Saint-Germain on Sunday night. This comes amidst speculation about his international future, with the one-time England forward seemingly on the verge of changing his national allegiance. And this potential switch isn't the only major change Greenwood might make this year as transfer rumours continue to circulate ahead of a busy summer. We look at the latest updates surrounding the ex-Red Devils player.

Marseille mess

Despite scoring 15 goals in Ligue 1 this term – second only to PSG's Ousmane Dembele (20) – Greenwood was suddenly dropped by his manager earlier this month. The former United prospect – who was sold after being charged with attempted rape, assault and controlling behaviour, all of which were later dropped – has found himself in a surprising situation at Marseille.

The Bradford-born forward only played the second half in Marseille's 1-0 home defeat to Lens. And according to RMC Sport, his omission from the starting line-up was due to frustrations from staff over Greenwood's 'nonchalance', 'attitude' and 'lack of effort'.

"I wanted him here, I said it over and over again," said De Zerbi of Greenwood when addressing the current situation. "He was the first player I contacted, even before I signed for OM.

"I had already spoken to his father. No one can have more respect for him than I do. But that doesn't change anything. I expect more from him. He has to do more, because what he is currently showing is not enough. If he wants to achieve his ambition of becoming a champion, he has to be more consistent, sacrifice more and be more determined."

Despite being sat out for the disappointing loss to Lens – Marseille's first home defeat since November 2024 – the club will be longing for a spirited reaction from the team against PSG. But Get French Football News suggested Greenwood could still be left out for Le Classique after being spotted training with the reserves ahead of the trip to Paris.

McClaren comeback

Jamaica head coach Steve McClaren is evidently eager to have Greenwood in his squad following the player's decision to switch international allegiances. And the former Manchester United coach shares a history with Greenwood given their Old Trafford connection.

McClaren – who was part of Erik ten Hag's coaching staff and spent two years at United before his Caribbean venture – has been keeping tabs on Greenwood.

"We are in contact all the time, with him and his family," said the former Middlesbrough boss in a recent update. "I am very confident he only wants to play for Jamaica. It is up to him when he moves forward with that. The ball is in his court."

Greenwood's England career was brief, earning just one cap in a UEFA Nations League victory against Iceland in September 2020. But it ended abruptly after an incident involving a breach of Covid-19 protocols alongside Phil Foden on that trip.

The Marseille forward took steps in August 2024 to play for Jamaica, qualifying through his mother's heritage. This move was confirmed by FA chief executive Mark Bullingham, who has clarified it was Greenwood's choice to request the switch, not vice versa.

"So my understanding, and I'd have to double check my understanding, is he's asked to switch," said Bullingham. "That's happened formally, so he wouldn't be able to because you can only switch once.

"I know people asked Gareth [Southgate] about him and Gareth was up front in that he hadn't been in his thinking, because he hadn't been performing at that level, so I'm not aware of any communication we had with him. I don't think there was ever a request or anything like that. It just wasn't one we got to, so it's a personal decision by him."

Manchester United 'confident' of profit

While speculation continues around Greenwood’s future at international level, he could be on the move at club level again this summer. And his next transfer has the potential to bolster Manchester United's transfer kitty drastically.

This comes after the Red Devils secured a 50% sell-on clause when they parted ways with Greenwood, who joined Marseille last year for £26.6million. Although the player is under contract with Marseille until 2029, an impressive season could trigger a much bigger move.

It's reported United are feeling "increasingly confident" of another windfall, as interest in capturing Greenwood’s signature intensifies. With the forward only one goal away from equalling his personal best tally for a season of 16, Old Trafford executives might well be rubbing their hands together in anticipation of a transfer budget boost.

Goal reported Barcelona and Atletico Madrid are showing interest in the player, with Real Madrid also being linked. Additionally, PSG is being suggested as a potential destination if he chooses to stay in France.

It's thought the player is open to a return to La Liga, where he initially revived his career on loan at Getafe. United's main concern may not be where the forward lands next season, but rather securing the highest possible percentage of any future transfer fee to bolster Ruben Amorim's own summer budget.

Read full news in source page