timesofindia.indiatimes.com

Baloch outfit kills 9, wounds 35 in suicide bombing of paramilitary convoy

Baloch outfit kills 9, wounds 35 in suicide bombing of paramilitary convoy

ISLAMABAD: A suicide bombing targeting a paramilitary convoy in Pakistan's restive Balochistan province killed nine people – five Frontier Corps personnel and four civilians – and wounded at least 35 others early on Sunday, hours after the outlawed Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) declared it had executed 214 hostages from the train that was hijacked last week.

Besides the suicide bomber, four militants were killed in retaliation by the military, security officials said.

The Baloch outfit issued a statement claiming responsibility for the suicide attack along the Noshki-Dalbandin highway, suggesting it would continue to inflict damage on Pakistani forces for ignoring a 48-hour ultimatum to agree to a prisoner exchange.

Officials said the suicide bomber drove an explosives-laden vehicle into an eight-bus Frontier Corps convoy ferrying personnel from Noshki to Taftan, near the border with Iran.

Witnesses reported hearing a massive explosion, after which militants surrounded and attacked one of the buses in the convoy that escaped being blown to smithereens. Four of the casualties were civilians caught in the crossfire.

Emergency services rushed the wounded to nearby hospitals, where medical staff reported that several people were in a critical condition.

A clearance operation to secure the area was continuing till late in the night. "Escape routes have been sealed, and aerial surveillance is underway," a military spokesperson said. "We will ensure no threat remains."

BLA, through its Majeed Brigade – a unit notorious for suicide missions – said it killed over 90 security personnel across two buses. But official sources and local media confirmed that the death toll was nine.

The attack follows a pattern of increasing violence in Balochistan, including the recent hijacking of the Jaffar Express train near Sibi last week. Officially, there is confirmation of 26 hostages, including 18 security personnel, being killed.

The province, rich in natural gas and minerals, has long been a separatist hotspot, with groups like BLA accusing the federal government of exploiting resources while neglecting local development. The attack comes amid heightened tensions over projects tied to the China-Pakistan Economic Corridor, which militants frequently target.

Analysts say the recent surge in high-intensity attacks reflects BLA's intent to disrupt security and economic progress in the region.

Read full news in source page