Latest Developments
U.S. Strikes Will Continue Until Houthi Attacks Stop: The United States carried out large-scale strikes on targets controlled by the Houthi rebels in Yemen on March 15, beginning a new offensive against the Iran-backed group. President Donald Trump announced the operation in a social media post, stating, “To all Houthi terrorists, YOUR TIME IS UP, AND YOUR ATTACKS MUST STOP, STARTING TODAY.” Further, Trump wrote “To Iran: Support for the Houthi terrorists must end IMMEDIATELY” and “America will hold you fully accountable.” Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth that the U.S. attack will continue until the Houthis “stop shooting at” American ships and drones.
Multiple Houthi Leaders Targeted: The U.S. strikes come after the Houthis announced on March 11 that the group would resume banning “the passage of all Israeli ships” in the Red Sea, Bab al Mandeb Strait, and the Gulf of Aden until Israel allows aid into the Gaza Strip. According to The New York Times, Houthi targets were struck by U.S. fighter jets launched from USS Harry S. Truman aircraft carrier as well as Air Force attack planes and armed drones launched from regional bases. National Security Advisor Mike Waltz said on March 16 that the strikes “took out” multiple Houthi leaders but did not identify them.
Houthis Vow to Escalate Attacks: Following the strikes, senior Houthi leader Mohammed al-Bukhaiti vowed that the group would “respond to the escalation by escalating.” Later, on March 16, Houthi spokesman Yahya Saree said in a press conference that the group will “not hesitate to target all American warships in the Red Sea and in the Arabian Sea in retaliation to the aggression against our country.” A missile launched by the Houthis overnight landed in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, and the IDF said that it was investigating whether the missile was targeting Israel.
FDD Expert Response
“This is long overdue. The Houthis have conducted unrelenting attacks on merchant shipping and the U.S. Navy ships protecting them. The United States has spent almost $2 billion on a largely defensive campaign, but it’s time to go on the offensive. To truly complete this effort would require some more challenging strikes against the group’s patrons in Iran. The United States needs to hold Iran accountable for their support to the Houthis, and that means U.S. attacks on Iranian spy ships and logistics lines that enable Houthi attacks.” —RADM (Ret.) Mark Montgomery, FDD Senior Fellow and Senior Director of FDD’s Center on Cyber and Technology
“While the Houthis will need to face an ongoing campaign rather than a single operation to turn off their fire and cease their threats against Red Sea shipping and Israel, this strike contains an important message to the terror group’s patron in Tehran: The Trump administration is willing to use force preemptively against the regime’s proxies. These strikes can go a long way towards bolstering a credible U.S. military response anywhere in the Middle East.” —Behnam Ben Taleblu, Iran Program Senior Director and Senior Fellow
“The U.S. strikes against the Houthis likely surprised the Yemen-based group. Under the Biden administration, American military responses were largely reactive and failed to deter the Houthis from targeting commercial shipping and military vessels. In contrast, President Trump sought to change this dynamic with preemptive punitive strikes. However, it’s important to recognize that the Houthis may now adapt their tactics, potentially viewing greater deterrence value in retaliating against U.S. allies in the region, including those they have previously avoided targeting.” —Joe Truzman, Senior Research Analyst and Editor at FDD’s Long War Journal
“The Houthis are Iran’s strongest remaining proxy. By targeting the group with a large scale operation, the Trump Administration is sending a message to the Iranian regime that it will no longer be allowed to foment terrorism with impunity. The IRGC has quickly responded by distancing itself from the Houthis’ actions, indicating that they’re aware these strikes are a warning to the Islamic Republic.” —Bridget Toomey, Research Analyst
FDD Background and Analysis
“Defeating the Houthis: Biden didn’t try; Trump can and should,” by Clifford D. May
“US military launches large-scale operation against Houthis in Yemen,” by Joe Truzman and Bill Roggio
“Houthis ramp up domestic attacks in Marib,” by Bridget Toomey
“U.S. Relists Yemen’s Iran-Backed Houthis as Foreign Terrorist Organization,” by Bridget Toomey and Behnam Ben Taleblu
“The Houthis’ leadership structure,” by Joe Truzman
Issues:
Iran Iran Global Threat Network Israel Israel at War